The basic smokey eye | Graphites in the evening

I think one of the reasons why I’m so crazy about Graphites (Clarins Eye Quartet Mineral Palette$40) is because it’s so low-maintenance – one quad, two brushes, and you’ve got an entire smokey eye at your fingertips.

I did this look to test out wear time, but ended up taking photos of it anyways. (Don’t look at me like that; my total lack of self-control is surprisingly okay with me.) I used Ellis Faas E209 as a base, and it confirmed my suspicions: awful packaging, but the wear time is so much better than most eye primers or cream shadows, on my lids.

For colour, this is mainly the satin black in the palette – foiled onto the outer corner, then buffed and blended liberally across the rest of the lid. A bit of the dark grey to soften the edges, a touch of the pearly hilight in the inner corner, and then a smidgen of that gorgeous, dimensional light silver in the middle of the lid & blended to the sides.

On the cheeks, I believe I’ve got on Estée Lauder Blush All Day in Plum – my first-ever blusher, actually; long since discontinued but one that I still use with alarming frequency. I’m not entirely sure what I have on my lips, but Burt’s Bees Pink Blossom (review) or one of these Clinique Chubby Sticks would be my best guess – I’ve been reaching for both quite a lot recently.

P.S More Graphites

For starters, the teaser for this post can be found here, and the review, here. I’ve used the palette in quite a few looks, by now; I can’t think of any other palette that I’ve posted on more than twice! (Yes, alright, hush; it’s completely normal for a beauty blogger to have a product attention span that’s this alarmingly short.)

Anyhow; if you want a testament to the flexibility of Graphites, check out this faux-gloss tutorial, this soft grey smokey eye, and this gold and black smokey eye. (The last is a favourite of mine – I love a good black & gold combination!)

• Reply Arianne

Ugh! I love your face. :)
    My recent post I’m Ready to Party with Candy Brights from YSL Spring Look 2012 Collection.

February 6, 2012 at 10:16 AM
  • Reply makeupmag

GORGEOUS! I love how clean your photos are and how the shadows bring out your beautiful eyes. :)
    My recent post The Greening Session – MAC for Wicked the Musical: Elphaba’s Green Makeup

February 6, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Yeah, I'm really loving these shots! So mysterious like.

And seriously. The beauty blogger fickleness is killing me. I need to focus!
    My recent post Illamasqua Libido

February 6, 2012 at 10:30 AM
  • Reply mostlysunnybunny

Yum yum, definitely gorgeous! I love gold and black. Wait, I take that back, I love gold with everything else! I always highlight the center of my lids with gold when I do a smokey eye. It's instant dimension and glam!
    My recent post Swatch: China Glaze Let’s Groove and the Deserted Island Question

February 6, 2012 at 10:41 AM
  • Reply herroyalbleakness

This is the type of smokey-eye look I'd go for! And yes, you're quite normal to have that kind of attention span to eye palettes… i assume you have tons in your stash that it's gonna be some work if you'd post bout it twice, heee :D

Love the last pic. The pearly gold color on the inner corner going down the inner bottom is just gorgeous.
    My recent post Neutrogena Fine Fairness BB Cream @ Chef Jessie

February 6, 2012 at 10:53 AM
  • Reply dani@callitbeauty

LOVELOVELOOOOVE! I'm obsessed with that outer corner <3.

p.s.
    Now tell us how you took photos of your FOTD at night! :p
    My recent post We Interrupt Your Regular Programming…

February 6, 2012 at 1:49 PM
  • Reply fabulouslyfrugirl

I really love this look. It's smokey but not too over the top, I'd love to try something like this out.

Would there be similar colours you'd recommend for this using the Sephora moonbaked shadow palette? I have a very limited stash.

My recent post Inspired by: Should I buy Chanel?

February 6, 2012 at 7:12 PM
  • Reply Liz (Reductionista)

So pretty! I think every time after you do a look with this palette, I say I'm going to copy you and end up ignoring all my eye shadows. I'll try to remember tomorrow morning. :)
    My recent post Bloglovin'

February 6, 2012 at 7:43 PM
  • Reply Makeup Morsels

Obsessed with that first shot! And your face in general. Can you share some pretty with the rest of us, Rae? Please?
    My recent post L’oreal Infallible Eyeshadow in Sahara Treasure: Review, Swatches, EOTD

February 6, 2012 at 9:12 PM
  • Reply Lizzy

I agree Eliis Faas' packaging is so very lovely to look at but is awful if you're going to actually use it :/
    can't wait for your errmm..nighttime photo taking post :P
    My recent post Review: Tom Ford Moroccan Rouge Lip Color

February 6, 2012 at 10:15 PM
  • Reply lyn

Oooh, very very nice! You have me wanting Clarins eyeshadows now so I must go check them out soon

February 6, 2012 at 10:21 PM
  • Reply Rainy Days & Lattes

Your smokey eye looks modern and chic and CLEAN :) I love it so much! I think I can try this! Thanks fro your inspiration! :)
    My recent post Eve Pearl Lipstick Review!

February 6, 2012 at 10:54 PM
  • Reply Rola

Your version of the smokey eye is so natural and flattering on you.
    My recent post Clean Fingers, Bright Toes

February 6, 2012 at 11:11 PM
  • Reply Happy Chinadoll

Very pretty. I love how your smoky eyes looks.

February 6, 2012 at 11:16 PM
  • Reply Jamilla

A delectable look!

February 7, 2012 at 12:03 AM
  • Reply Jess

That's some pretty awesome blending!!

February 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM
  • Reply Bun Bun Makeup Tips

I love black and gold combinations too! Are you gonna show us how you took those awesome pictures? :D
    My recent post Big News: Google Friend Connect Is Going Away, Follow Bun Bun Makeup Tips With Bloglovin’!

February 7, 2012 at 8:36 PM
  • Reply Jen W

Loving the new photography style, so elegant! And the smokey eye with Graphites is perfection.

February 8, 2012 at 2:30 AM
  • Reply bloominbeauty

Absolutely gorgeous! I love the style of this post! :)

February 8, 2012 at 8:14 PM
  • Reply Beauty Blog Link Love | Feb 10 | Adorable On Your Vanity

[…] the Great Beauty Blogger Problem: taking photos after the sun’s gone down. Check out her classic smokey eye to see the proof for […]

February 11, 2012 at 12:17 AM
  • Reply theNotice: a beauty blog » 11/02/12 Link Love

February 11, 2012 at 6:02 AM
  • Reply Cosmetics Aficionado

This is SO BEAUTIFUL!!
    My recent post Rimmel London Stay Glossy Lipgloss in Black Diva

February 11, 2012 at 8:57 AM
  • Reply Beauty Blog Link Love | Beauty Blog, Mineral Makeup, How to Apply Eyeshadow, Makeup Reviews | Phyrra

February 11, 2012 at 11:13 AM
  • Reply BEAUTY BLOG LINK LOVE

February 11, 2012 at 4:50 PM
  • Reply Beauty Blog Link Love | Krasey Beauty

[…] the Great Beauty Blogger Problem: taking photos after the sun’s gone down. Check out her classic smokey eye to see the proof for yourself. At Love Lust & Fairy Dust, Jude warns us to never […]

February 11, 2012 at 8:53 PM
  • Reply Beauty Blog Link Love

[…] the Great Beauty Blogger Problem: taking photos after the sun’s gone down. Check out her classic smokey eye to see the proof for yourself.At Love Lust & Fairy Dust, Jude warns us to never underestimate […]

February 12, 2012 at 1:03 AM
  • Reply Beauty Blog Link Love Week of 2/6/12

February 12, 2012 at 7:02 AM
  • Reply Jackie

you have no signs of eyebags. i'm soo jealous. lol. i think its because my eyes are so big and bulgy. even though this is a smoky eye this look is so beautifully subtle on you.
    My recent post What's On My Face

February 12, 2012 at 9:35 PM
  • Reply Beauty Blog Link Love | Audrey Dao

February 13, 2012 at 6:16 AM
  • Reply Lynnie

Your skin is absolutely stunning!

February 14, 2012 at 11:33 AM
  • Reply Link Love (powered by the Grammys) | fabulously fru-girl

[…] Graphite smokey eye look from Rae at the Notice. I’m loving this look and can’t wait to try this with my moonbaked palette as per Rae’s advice! […]

February 18, 2012 at 6:16 AM