Once more, with feeling | A darker Clarins Smokey Passion look

Just the eye, for this one! I was running out of sunlight, and it was a choice between (a) doing a full face and (b) actually being able to take photos without flash. The amount of sunlight won, of course, as it always does.

(Despite this, though… the quality of light itself? Pretty shoddy. This is what happens when you take makeup photos right before the golden hour, folks. Tip: don’t do it.)

To create this look, I used all four shades of the Smokey Passion eye quartet – the silver as a base, the burnt sienna in the inner corner, the taupe in the center of the lid & around the edges, and the brown-black on the outer corner and lower lashline for intensity. Then, for a bit more polish, I pulled a touch of Smashbox Smoke through the brows, blended in some Hard Candy Glamoflauge in Light for my dark circles, and ran a Marcelle Khol Eyeliner in Soft Black along my waterlines.

(The wear of the khol is awful if you like crisp, sharp lines, but it’s incredibly gentle on my waterline – no itching or irritation at all.)

Finally, I finished the look with a quick swipe of Imju Fiberwig Extra Long Mascara – black, of course, – and Marcelle Liquid Eyeliner Pen for a bit of interest along the lashline.

P.S.

My inspiration for the liner shape – with a small ridge, it’s a bit more geometric than usual, but still fairly basic. (And, alright, the ridge didn’t translate well into these photographs. I promise; it’s ridgier if you’re looking at it straight-on vs. at an angle.)

Olga Sherer backstage for Dior Spring 2010 CTR, via Style.com. Isn’t she purrrdy? Filing this one away in “faces I would kill for”…

• Reply Arianne

Eeeks I love this liner shape! I know what you mean by ridgier, I get it. :) I do my liner like this sometimes, too. Such a pretty EOTD. :)

Oh, and I also know about the crappy-ass lighting. I had to deal with that on my last FOTD as well. I am NOT happy. Eye shots were awful and grainy and downright gross. :(
    My recent post Everyday Makeup: A Recreation of Dolce & Gabbana Spring 2012 RTW Runway Look.

January 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM
  • Reply Jamilla

Amazing look! Stunning!

January 7, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Ugh, I also live in a city of bad lighting. Ah, well. This is gorgeous! I love the liner :) I think I do a winged liner pretty much every day (I just prefer it for my eye shape) but it doesn't always come out the same, so I know what you mean by ridgier as well :P I think we're all just crazy.
    My recent post Cartoon EOTD: Tinkerbell

January 7, 2012 at 11:23 AM
  • Reply Musing on Beauty

I need to look into Clarins makeup more, this is absolutely stunning!

January 7, 2012 at 11:42 AM
  • Reply mostlysunnybunny

Whoa, I love your eyeliner! This is a very subtly yet beautiful EOTD!

And yup, natural lighting is so precious in winter that it seems I'm always racing with the sun!
    My recent post Swatch & Review: Clinique High Lengths Mascara

January 7, 2012 at 12:57 PM
  • Reply Eden-Avalon

Love the inspiration!! I like the ridged wing liner.

:( and I feel you on the bad lighting. I'm constantly in tungsten light.

January 7, 2012 at 2:22 PM
  • Reply Liz (Reductionista)

Love the look — as always! I never paid much attention to Clarins until I started reading your blog. Now I'm quite impressed. :)
    My recent post Vacation Tales Part 2: Boracay

January 8, 2012 at 10:51 AM
  • Reply lyn

Oooh, yes… the smokier version is so gorgeous! I've never bought any eyeshadows from Clarins before and it looks like I need to pay them a visit soon ;-)
    My recent post Dior Vernis Spring 2012 Collection in Forget Me Not and Waterlily

January 8, 2012 at 10:07 PM
  • Reply bravoerunway

Just discovered your blog on Twitter! I am a DIE HARD Clarins skin-care user but not as much in terms of cosmetics. I'll definitely have to check it out. You did a beautiful job, and it's not easy to create the smoky look on Asian eyes!
    My recent post Let's BeKnown!

January 9, 2012 at 8:16 AM
  • Reply @BloominBeauty5

Ahh! *flails* I love that shape, LOVE it. Must try, tomorrow!!!!

January 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM