The not-quite-Chanel FOTD | Gold and black smokey eyes

When I set about to do a look this past Saturday, I had intended to re-create the recent Chanel Fall 2011 couture look – a sexy, glossy, all-black eye.

Needless to say, I was waylaid by a pigment stack I (inadvisably) had sitting out on my desk, and we didn’t really make it to our originally planned destination.

In the end, I put together a basic, black smokey eye with a gold highlight in the center, a look I’ve been quite fond of recently. (Er, having the main highlight being in the center of the lid rather than the inner corner, that is. But to be honest, I don’t wear a lot of black in terms of eyeshadow!)

Even more importantly, though, I’m super excited to get reviewing some of the products I tried out in this look. A few of them were in this bowl, and a few of them weren’t, but there were a couple of new textures that I’ve really been enjoying. We should have a review of the Clinique Lid Smoothie line within the next forty-eight hours, but consider this your “sneak preview” into some of our upcoming reviews!

This look is actually deceptively easy to create, and you really only need two colours to do it! (I used more, of course, but honestly? You could get away with just two.) Start by filling your brows, then prime lids – try either an all-over primer, or a blended black-and-gold base for added depth.

Then, using a small shader brush (think MAC 242), pat a gold pigment onto the center of your lid, the inner 1/3 of your lower lashline, and your inner corner. With a separate brush (I used an Annabelle A-21), apply a matte or sheen-finish black to the inner and outer 1/3s of your lid. Use a clean blending brush to buff out the black edges, then blend the gold into the black with the remnants of colour on your small shader brush.

To finish the eye, use a soft, angled liner brush to “wiggle” a black cream liner into your upper lashline. Then, line your waterlines with black liner, curl lashes, and apply mascara.

I paired this look with a contoured-but-low-key cheek: bold enough to hold its own, but not so bold it makes a statement. To replicate it, contour lightly, blending well at the edges, add just a hint of peach blusher (mine’s technically a face powder; to-may-to, toh-mah-to), and pull it all together with a hint of finely milled peach highlighter on the top of the cheekbone and lightly up the orbital bone.

Choose a natural, slightly peachy lip colour to finish the look – matte or glossy, it’s your call! (I wanted to keep the lips really low-maintenance, so I went with an Ellis Faas Creamy Lips for a really natural lip). Add powder and you’re good to go!

Products used

Eyes – colour: MAC Pigment in Gold Mode (middle of lid; inner corner), Clarins Eye Quartet Mineral Palette in Graphites (black), Clinique Lid Smoothie Eye Colour in Bit O’ Honey (used as a base), Annabelle Smoothie Eyeshadow Pencil in Licoriche (used as a base)

Eyes – other: L’Oreal HiP Cream Eyeliner in Black (upper lashline), La Bella Donna Eye Liner in Black (waterlines), L’Oreal Double Extend Mascara in Black, MAC Matte2 Eye Shadow in Blanc Type (matte brow highlight)

Lips: Ellis Faas Creamy Lips in L108

Cheeks: Hard Candy Blush Crush in Honeymoon (cheek highlight), Smashbox Matte Eye Shadow in Smoke (to contour), Clarins Barocco Face Palette (peachy cheek colour)

• Reply Rocaille

Gorgeous! Black never looks that good on me…
    My recent post July Favorites

August 1, 2011 at 10:08 PM
  • Reply Socialite Dreams

i adore the soft shimmer of it! very beautiful girly
    My recent post "I'm Still Jenny from the Block" Jennifer Lopez Makeup Looks and Next Week's Celeb: Rihanna

August 1, 2011 at 10:21 PM
  • Reply Beauty Reflections

This is so gorgeous!!! A lovely sophisticated smokey eye!
    My recent post Eco-Lux Soaps by Wembé

August 1, 2011 at 10:23 PM
  • Reply callitbeautyblog

you. are. so. pretty! this look is so gorgeous on you!
    My recent post Eyeko Pretty London: More Than Just Cute Packaging

August 1, 2011 at 10:44 PM
  • Reply D.Sadie

WOW! I love how perfect your makeup looks. Your eyebrows look perfect too!

August 1, 2011 at 10:46 PM
  • Reply Jamilla

I love this look! And you're the only blogger I know with bigger cheekbones than me – fabulous!!
    My recent post FOTD – D&G Classic Cream Lipstick Velvet 130 and Bobbi Brown Tinted Moisturizer Medium

August 2, 2011 at 12:18 AM
  • Reply Paris B

I love this look Rae! I shall have to try it since we have er… similar sort of eyelids :D
    My recent post Soap up with the Ah Yuan Organic Handmade Flower Soap Series

August 2, 2011 at 3:10 AM
  • Reply Haley

Rae, you look especially radiant in these photos!

August 2, 2011 at 4:14 AM
  • Reply vijiis

You look so beautiful! Love it. =]
    My recent post Little FAQ Assistance

August 2, 2011 at 5:30 AM
  • Reply Arianne

I love everything about this look. So impressed how wearable this black smokey eye is. That gold shade is phenomenal for catching the light. :)

Oh, and your lid space is soooo clean! Is it tweezed or 'shopped? Either way, hats off for the job well done. ;)
    My recent post Five Ways to Wear Giorgio Armani Jacquard Quatuor Eye Palette No 1.

August 2, 2011 at 7:13 AM

I likey! I may steal this look from you… :D
    My recent post The Moment of Truth: July

August 2, 2011 at 7:46 AM
  • Reply lyn

I just need to echo what everyone has said here… this is a really gorgeous look! I may try it out someday soon.
    My recent post Dior Addict Lipstick in Red Carpet

August 2, 2011 at 4:46 PM
  • Reply Eden-Avalon

I like the center highlight. You look very coquette in that middle picture!
    My recent post BH Cosmetics 120 Color Palette 3rd Edition – Review and Swatches

August 2, 2011 at 4:46 PM
  • Reply Ciambella

Beautiful, woman! VERY Rae-Chanel! ………Raenel?

August 2, 2011 at 8:33 PM
  • Reply makeupmorsels

Gorgeous FOTD! And I don't blame you at all for being distracted by Gold Mode, the color looks like it's quite hard to ignore :)
    My recent post Under Construction

August 2, 2011 at 8:58 PM
  • Reply Soos

I like this look a lot!
    My recent post My Husband Looks Like Someone Else

August 3, 2011 at 8:38 PM
  • Reply Silhouettex

SO PRETTY. Flawless blending and I love how the gold is in the centre. :)
    My recent post Janelle

August 4, 2011 at 5:08 AM
  • Reply Jacqueline Ma

This is such a pretty look. I'm definitely trying this, thanks!
    My recent post Le Métier de Beauté 'Creme Fresh' Tint for Lip and Cheek in Coral Nymph Review and Swatches

August 4, 2011 at 6:36 AM
  • Reply Danielle

This look is gorg! I am SO going to wear a look like this soon, it's undeniably beautiful!

August 4, 2011 at 8:24 AM
  • Reply Stephanie

LOVE LOVE LOVE this look! Thanks for sharing!! I'm going to try this for tomorrow!!

August 4, 2011 at 6:21 PM
  • Reply janice

really love this look, especially the lip! any dupes for the ellis faas lip (i'd never even heard of this brand before reading your blog….where can you get it in canada?)

August 5, 2011 at 6:55 PM
  • Reply theNotice: a beauty blog » Ellis Faas Creamy Lips L108 review and swatches

[…] {Want a full-face swatch? Catch L108 in this gold-and-black makeup look!} […]

August 9, 2011 at 6:02 AM
  • Reply theNotice: a beauty blog » Clarins 4 Colour Eye Palette in Graphites | Ramblings, review and swatches

[…] got a look coming up using just this quad, but in the meantime, you can see it featured here as well! (Black and hilighter shades used, both dry. Black to create the smokey eye; hilighter to […]

August 11, 2011 at 1:24 PM
  • Reply theNotice: a beauty blog » Interlude | I demand that you love me or I will steal all of your acorns

[…] & just in case you forgot what my face actually looks like (from this FOTD) […]

August 24, 2011 at 7:47 PM
  • Reply Alison

This look is SO gorgeous on you, I just love it.

I found you through temptalia and your makeup is so very much my style. I actually have a very similar look to you, amazingly, except I lean slightly warm in my skin tone! I want to give this a try and hope it works for me.

November 7, 2011 at 5:45 AM
  • Reply theNotice: a beauty blog » The basic smokey eye | Graphites in the evening

[…] flexibility of Graphites, check out this faux-gloss tutorial, this soft grey smokey eye, and this gold and black smokey eye. (The last is a favourite of mine – I love a good black & gold […]

February 6, 2012 at 10:02 AM
  • Reply Cindy

You have perfect skin. I love your contouring skills and eye look here =)

April 11, 2012 at 7:30 PM