Silicone-free liquid foundations: an updated list

I realized that we haven’t updated this list, so here we go again! This list contains only liquid foundations (no cremes, powders, or tinted moisturizers), and runs approximately from the least to the most expensive. As usual, feel free to let me know in the comments if you’ve found any others.

Ingredients for all products can be found in the title line of each link. Just hover your mouse over the price to see it!

Additionally, if you would like to share our list of silicone-free liquid foundations, please link directly to this post. It takes quite a few hours of work to create a post like this one, and I would greatly appreciate it if you could refrain from replicating any or all of the content — thank you!

Physician’s Formula Sun Shield Liquid Foundation SPF 15, $5.95.

CoverGirl Clean Liquid Makeup, $6.99. *Not all shades are silicone-free

Physician’s Formula Organic Wear Liquid Foundation SPF 15. $13.95.

Marcelle True Radiance Make-up SPF 15, $14.95. Discontinued

Almay Pure Blends Makeup SPF 15, $15.69.

Ecco Bella FlowerColor Natural Liquid Foundation SPF 15, $22.95.

FACE Stockholm Liquid Foundation, $36.00.

Dr. Hauschka Translucent Makeup, $36.95.

Living Nature Foundation, $37.00.

100% Pure Healthy Skin Foundation SPF 20, $41.00.

Laura Mercier Oil-Free Suprême Foundation, $42.00.

Zuii Organics Flora Liquid Foundation, $44.95.

Nvey Eco Moisture Rich Fluid Foundation, $45.00.

More silicone-free beauty…

• Silicone-free category on theNotice {here}
  • Silicone-free creme foundations {here}
  • Silicone-free moisturizers {part one} {part two}

PLEASE NOTE: I am working on updating this list, but it won’t be for some time now! Here are a few foundations that are missing from this list:

• Juice Beauty Perfecting Foundation, $35.00.
  • Kett Hydro Foundation, $30.00.
  • Bourjois Bio Détox Foundation, $17.00.
  • Lavera Natural Liquid Foundation, $27.00.

• Reply theNotice: a beauty blog » Sticking to that ‘cone-free diet: silicone-free foundations

[…] http://thenotice.net/2011/04/silicone-free-foundations Filed under: Acne, Base, Make Up For Ever / MUFE, Marcelle, Silicone-free Posted by: Rae Chen on Monday, March 15, 2010 at 5:00 AM Previous Post: « Miss Dior Cherie, though the eyes of Teen Vogue   Next Post:   FOTD: for the love of cheeks! » […]

April 11, 2011 at 7:30 AM
  • Reply Vijaya

Ooh, what a neat list. A friend of mine has a really hard time finding good, silicone free liquid foundations.

April 11, 2011 at 9:53 PM
  • Reply WendyD

Are any of these full-coverage, anyone know? :) I'm starting to kind of hate on CoverFX (creme).

April 22, 2011 at 9:01 PM
  • Reply Bun Bun Makeup Tips

Goodness, none of these brands can be found in Singapore. X'(
    My recent post Eyeshadow Tutorial for Asian Eyes Part 4 – Defining the Contour Area

December 13, 2011 at 2:31 AM
  • Reply Lilli

Thank you so much for this!!! I have been needing a list of silicone free makeup and it is difficult to find the information and also the foundations! I really appreciate this!

January 4, 2012 at 5:22 PM
  • Reply WendyD

Another one: Kett Hydro. I think a lot of air brush foundations are cone-free, or at least low-cone, and can be applied with a stippling brush or damp sponge.

A local retailor carries this, so I'll have to check it out next time I'm downtown.

March 28, 2012 at 3:55 PM
  • Reply angela

I checked out the Almay you have listed and it had a ton of silicones, same with the cover girl- not sure which shade is silicone free but i looked at at least five shades. I love that you dedicate posts to silicone free stuff, I am always on the hunt!

May 10, 2012 at 8:59 PM
  • Reply shir

What about Stila Illuminating Foundation? An older one but still around and hopefully not messed with anytime soon.

December 9, 2012 at 12:31 AM
  • Reply ppp :D

about the 100% pure brand, I was reading on paula's choice website and other websites (http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-skin-care-reviews/by-brand/100-pure?sort=none&direction=asc&pageNumber=1&pageSize=25&brand=100-pure)

that they don't follow "follow regulatory guidelines for ingredient lists; several products contain irritating natural ingredients that hurt skin's ability to look and act younger; jar packaging allows the natural ingredients to break down and become ineffective from repeated exposure to air and light."

I'm not sure about this claim but I know some of the websites I read they said similar things. I was wondering if this was true or not, because I'm thinking of purchasing their foundation since its all natural …but i'm worried that it might breakout my skin :'[

December 29, 2012 at 1:29 AM
  • Reply ppp

sorry this is my first time commenting on a blog. did my other question get in because it wasn't showing up after? ahhaha. confused o.o also thanks for the list on the other hand.

December 29, 2012 at 1:49 AM
  • Reply Lola

I found that Juice Beauty has a liquid foundation that's silicone free. they also have a tinted moisturizer w/spf silicone free non-nano zinc oxide (safest sunscreen ingredient and non nano doesn't penetrate the skin though that depends on the color though)

February 12, 2013 at 12:57 AM
  • Reply Ali

Also for your updated list:
    1) GOSH – natural touch foundation
    2) The Balm Cream – Time Balm Foundation
    3) Mally Beauty – Ultimate Performance Professional Foundation

As you can see, I've also been on the hunt for silicone free base products. Looking forward to your updated list!

February 25, 2013 at 8:47 PM
  • Reply Ali

Also for your updated list:
    1) GOSH – natural touch foundation
    2) The Balm Cream – Time Balm Foundation
    3) Mally Beauty – Ultimate Performance Professional Foundation

February 25, 2013 at 8:47 PM
  • Reply Ali

Another one I've recently found which is pretty amazing (price-wiser too haha): makeup forever face and body foundation

April 8, 2013 at 10:44 AM
  • Reply Christine

I am curious if you have done any research on the different types of silicones. Such as water soluble compared to non water soluble. My skin is crazy sensitive to almost every silicone based product. Even hair products will cause a break out for me. However I can wear Vichy Dermablend foundation with no problems at all. It has dimethicone but for some reason this formula I can wear. My only issue is their color selection, it's less than ideal. Still searching… Ugh

January 28, 2014 at 6:20 AM
  • Reply Rosa

Hi Rae. U might just be my last hope for beautiful skin. :) my skin can't tolerate silicones as well (liquid form, but powder my skin seems to play nice). So I've tried Laura mercier, it was great for first few mths, I had zits here & there still but less. At that time I was certain my skin was just purging and was getting better. Lately, I break out with cystic acne (heavily on my chin) just within 24 -48 hr of using the foundation. I guess my skin has its threshold. I suspect that my skin can't tolerate the silica in it (another form of silicone) though I've read such is not possible since it's not silicone as per se. However, I've once tried a mineral loose powder before with all are safe ingredients except it has silica in it & it broke me out. So I was convinced that silica was part of my problem. So.. Help! I need a new foundation but can't seem to find a single one that omits these 2 culprits completely. I live in Asia, that makes matter worst since not many silicone free foundations are available here in boutiques or even over the counters. Getting things online such a hassle- no international shipping service, difficult to select the right shade and many of the companies heavy on d claims but seem reluctant to list completely their ingredients for consumers to peruse. Whatever it is, thanks a bunch! Appreciate ur help.

December 13, 2014 at 4:50 AM
  • Reply VivianColleen

Thank you so much for posting these lists! They have helped me so much in this very distressing time. I know that you have put so much work into this site, but for those who have only rencently somehow come to the conclusion that they too are experienceing problems with silicone, could you possibly make a silicone free list/cheat-sheet by product to help those learning to navigate the site? (For instance:
    conditioners:
    Lip color:
    liners:
    gloss:
    moisturizers:
    powders:
    shampoos:)

Also, I have found these other names (from other websites) that serve to cloak the awful cones:
    Amodimethicone: Not soluble in water
    Amodimethicone (&) C11-15 Pareth-7 (&) Laureth-9 (&) Glycerin (&) Trideceth-12-
    Amodimethicone (and) Trideceth-12 (and) Cetrimonium Chloride mixture: Soluble in water in the bottle
    Bisamino PEG/PPG-41/3 Aminoethyl PG-Propyl Dimethicone
    Bis-Phenylpropyl Dimethicone
    Behenoxy Dimethicone: Sparingly soluble in water
    Cetearyl methicone: Not soluble in water
    Cetyl Dimethicone: Not soluble in water
    Cyclopentasiloxane (&) Trimethylsiloxysilicate
    Cyclotetrasiloxane- Cyclomethicone D4
    DEA PG-Propyl PEG/PPG-18/21 Dimethicone
    Diisostearoyl Trimethylolpropane Siloxy Silicate
    Dimethicone: Not soluble in water
    Dimethicone copolyol: Water soluble
    Dimethicone (&) Laureth-4 (&) Laureth-23: Non-ionic silicone emulsion for 2-in-1 shampoos.
    Dimethicone (&) Trimethylsiloxysilicate
    Dimethiconol (&) Sodium Dodecylbenzenesulphonate
    Diphenyl Dimethicone
    Disiloxane
    Dimethiconol: Not soluble in water
    Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Hydroxypropyl Polysiloxane: water soluble
    Hydrolyzed wheat protein/hydroxypropyl polysiloxane and cystine/silicone co-polymers- A combination of protein and silicones.
    Lauryl Methicone Copolyol: water soluble
    Methicone
    PCA Dimethicone
    PEG/PPG-20/15 Dimethicone- Previously referred to as Dimethicone Copolyol.
    PEG-12 Dimethicone- Previously referred to as Dimethicone Copolyol
    Phenyl Trimethicone
    Polysilicone-18 Cetyl Phosphate
    Silicone Resin Spheres (2, 5 & 6 micron)
    Simethicone