The Lipstick Bandits: Nudes You Need | Have a Lovely Day! with MAC’s Casual Colour collection

The product: MAC Casual Colour Lip & Cheek Colour in Have a Lovely Day!

This month’s Lipstick Bandit collaboration focuses on the perfect nude lip, and despite its limited edition nature, I had to go with MAC’s Have a Lovely Day! Lip & Cheek Colour.

Though I’ve been really unimpressed with a lot of MAC’s recent launches, the Casual Colour collection is one that I really wouldn’t mind seeing again. I just have the one, but it’s a lovely formula (and a really, really lovely shade.)

The formula: The Lip & Cheek Colour formula was thicker than I had expected, but (thankfully), in a good way! It reminds me of a long-lasting lip balm; creamy and heavy with a satin-matte finish — which is exactly how I like my products, thank you very much.

(Okay, possibly a bit less heavy, but I’ll deal with a bit of weight if it means we can finally, finally have something pretty that isn’t vinyl-shiny or overly-matte.)

With sheer-to-medium buildable coverage, MAC’s classic vanilla scent, and a formula that actually works with dry lips, I’m quite impressed with my Casual Colour pot. It does slide around a bit if you really pile it on (though what doesn’t slide around if you pile a ton of it on?), but unlike a lot of nudes–and even quite a few darker shades, on my lips,–it doesn’t settle into lip creases or catch on dry bits.

The shade: I honestly cannot say enough good things about this shade. It’s so hard to find the right nude for your skintone, especially when your skintone is a weird mix of super pale, strangely pink, and surprisingly green — but this one works beautifully.

Pink with a bit of red, yellow, and grey worked into the shade, Have a Lovely Day! is just as lovely as one could hope. It tones down my lip colour without washing it out; muting it and taking it ever so slightly more pale while still creating a very wearable, natural lip.

I like to think of it as an “invisible pink” for fair skintones — light and desaturated enough that the eye doesn’t catch on it, but just pink enough that it doesn’t attract even more attention, as many milky pinks and chalky nudes may do.

On the cheeks: I wanted to focus on this as a lip product (because, erm, Lipstick Bandits,) but it’s a lovely shade for the cheeks, too. I like to use it as a subtle, mauvey nude blush — think Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush in Exposed, but for paler, cooler skintones. It’s a bit on the heavy side, but creates an absolutely seamless contoured cheek once blended in, with a cream finish and just enough colour to serve both as blush and contour in a pinch.

Apply with fingers and give it a minute to set, and you should be good to go. I don’t love this on my cheeks, but I do like it. It doesn’t pack quite as much of a punch as my favourite cheek shades, but then, none of them would be even half-passable as nude lipsticks, so I find it hard to count that as any sort of failing on the Casual Colour’s part.

The verdict?

I know it’s a bit cruel to give a shining commendation to a limited edition product, but hark! Not all hope is lost, right? The US MAC site still has Relaxation and Out for Fun, and the Canadian one has Evening Stroll and Keep It Casual.

Seriously, though. $20 USD / $24 CAD, the size of a Tinted Lip Conditioner (12ml/0.43oz), and perfect both in texture and in colour? Count me in.

Wearing MAC Have a Lovely Day! (on lips) and Clarins Graphites Eye Quartet (on lids).

See the other Lipstick Bandits’ picks

MAC Have a Lovely Day! Casual Colour Lip & Cheek Colour

MAC Have a Lovely Day! Casual Colour Lip & Cheek Colour ingredients

• Reply Stripped: Lipstick Bandits Wear Nude Lips. | Glitter Geek

[…] theNotice: a beauty blog‎ […]

September 24, 2012 at 6:00 AM
  • Reply Mariella

This looks absolutely lovely on you!

September 24, 2012 at 6:19 AM
  • Reply Smoking in the nude: A Lipstick Bandits post | My Funny Valentine

[…] theNotice: a beauty blog? […]

September 24, 2012 at 6:21 AM
  • Reply mostlysunnybunny

I tend to avoid lip products in pot, but this one looks lovely on you! I'm almost sure it'll wash me out, but on your lips it's just right :)
    My recent post Deauty, the First Beauty Subscription Box in Belgium + Essie Size Matters Swatch

September 24, 2012 at 6:39 AM
  • Reply Beauty Reflections

Gorgeous Rae! You look great in light pinky nudes! I never picked up any of these when they came out so I think I will get Keep It Casual!
    My recent post This Lipstick Bandit Is NOT a Never-Nude!

September 24, 2012 at 9:02 AM
  • Reply messywands

Rae-whale, you're so prettyyyy! Mauve-y pink is a good color on you (but what color isn't, really?)
    My recent post Lipstick Bandits: Nudes

September 24, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I didn't pick up any of these, either – lip products in pots are not my favorite. I gave the lip conditioners a fair go, and while I like them, I still end up choosing a tube balm in the end. It looks lovely on you, though, color-wise!
    My recent post The Lipstick Bandits Go Incognito

September 24, 2012 at 11:17 AM
  • Reply Rocaille

I'm so out of it right now that I didn't even realize MAC released a product like this… Looks amazing on you, Rae!
    My recent post Rocaille Swatches: 5 Nude Glosses

September 24, 2012 at 1:41 PM
  • Reply Jessica

Have a Lovely Day is your perfect nude! I'm jealous that you can pull off such a pink toned shade: absolutely stunning as always, Rae!

♥ Jessica

September 24, 2012 at 4:08 PM
  • Reply toyarosie

I read so many conflicting opinions on the Casual Color collection, that I bypassed the whole thing! Thankfully, I'm in such a 'pare down and save' mind set right now that I don't feel totally depressed that I missed out on this shade, but I WILL say that it looks great on you Rae, and I totally get what you mean about how finding your 'perfect nude' can be so difficult! It looks like you have a winner here :)

September 24, 2012 at 4:55 PM
  • Reply Jen W

Looks beautiful! Nice to know that it works well on dry lips- most lip and cheek products seem to be terribly drying on the lips.

Also- you're hair looks FAB. Do you use heated rollers to get the waves?
    My recent post Smoking in the nude: A Lipstick Bandits post

September 24, 2012 at 5:18 PM
  • Reply Leigh

Love that shade on you!! Looks gorgeous! :) Do you know if it has any silicones in it?

September 24, 2012 at 11:39 PM
  • Reply Paris B

That is such a pretty lip colour and you are looking extra pretty in your pictures lately, Rae! :D
    My recent post Your Say: Do you take beauty supplements?

September 25, 2012 at 2:30 AM
  • Reply rasilla

Your pictures are always so gorgeous~
    I really should look into this liner of MAC's

September 25, 2012 at 3:44 PM
  • Reply Tiffany

You look stunning! And as a side note, I would seriously kill for a perfect pale complexion like yours.
    My recent post LORAC PRO Palette = ❤

September 30, 2012 at 4:25 PM
  • Reply Jenny

Ugh, now i must have it! LOL It looks great on you – that is exactly the kind of lip product I am always looking for! Nude to blank out my lips a little but not like insanely obvious i have lipstick on you know?
    My recent post My Collection: Revlon Colorburst Lip Butters