Storybook daisies: basically, the highlight of my summer. | Summer festival makeup tutorial

You guys, I don’t even know what to say about this one. I had so much fun doing it, and I’m ridiculously happy with the results — after a little colour-balancing and curves, I feel like I managed to get a “glow” that I (really, certainly, very much) do not have in real life.

(If any of you ever meet me in person, you are going to be so disappointed by my face, I kid you not.)

I started playing around with this look on the back of my hand, but (clearly,) it didn’t exactly go to plan. After seeing Pixie Lott’s V festival look from last year, I knew I had to do something with bright white flowers — storybook daisies, if you will. Instead of pairing the flowers with super-dark eyes and bold lips, though, I went softer, choosing sheer melon lips and a translucent gold and violet eye.

I hope you enjoy the look!

Read the tutorial on She Said Beauty here.

Products used, plus some annoying relevant and definitely important commentary

Used in the flowers

-Senna Sketch-A-Brow in Mink, to create a brow within the largest flower without having to leave the brow area flower-free.

-NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milkused with an art brush to create the flowers. I couldn’t find an appropriately sized sharpener for the pencil, so the product now lives in an old concealer jar >.<

Annabelle Hawaïan Hues Eyeshadow Palette, plus a bit of a Photoshop boost, for the yellow.

Used for the look

LIDS: NYX HD Eye Primer (which is so not working out well for me), MAC Matte2 Eye Shadow in Blanc Type, Ulta Eye Shadow in Molten, Annabelle Mineral Pigment Dust in Violet Vibe, Rock & Republic Saturate Eye Color in Alloy, Lancome Maquiriche Eye Colour in Crème Lustré and Angora.

CHEEKS & SKIN: Annabelle Biggy Bronzing Powder in Caribbean Sun, Hard Candy Glamoflauge in Light, Marcelle Face Powder (loose) in Translucent

LIPS: Clinique Chubby Stick in Mega Melon (which, seriously, is so much lovelier than I remember it being. Perfect for a sheer, melon-toned summer lip with gold shimmer!)

• Reply mostlysunnybunny

Oh man, this is SUCH a fun look!!! You're gorgeous, Rae!
    My recent post For Summer 2012, L’Occitane Brings You Fresh Verbena from Corsica… with a Citrus Twist!

July 13, 2012 at 6:55 AM
  • Reply glittergeek

GAHH. I LOVE IT SO MUCH, Rae! :) I just want to pinch your cheeks on that last photo. Love the little white flowers.
    My recent post Your Ultimate Guide To Beachy Waves, When All You Have Is Limp, Straight Hair

July 13, 2012 at 7:00 AM
  • Reply Soos

Love it! So pretty!
    My recent post Early Summer Dinner

July 13, 2012 at 7:10 AM
  • Reply Caroline

It's so beautiful! And I'm impressed with your freehand drawing skills. I could never draw on myself that neatly :)
    My recent post Bioderma Crèaline H2O vs. Etat Pur Micellar Cleansing Water

July 13, 2012 at 9:06 AM
  • Reply rasilla

super cute xD
    My recent post Bif Naked Spaceman

July 13, 2012 at 12:01 PM
  • Reply messywands

I just bit off your entire face, soulmate.
    My recent post Blushing with Chanel: Brumes d'Or &amp; Rose Initiale

July 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM
  • Reply The Beauty Sample

YAY! You look like a pretty, pretty fairy!
    My recent post The Sample: NEW Chanel Joues Contraste Powder Blush in 72 Rose Initiale Review &amp; Swatches

July 13, 2012 at 2:32 PM
  • Reply Beauty Reflections

I love it! So creative! I think you should wear this to Folk Fest! ;)

July 13, 2012 at 4:06 PM
  • Reply bellachique

It's so cute! I love that you chose daisies, you did a great job on these!
    My recent post Guerlain Rouge Automatique in Chamade

July 13, 2012 at 4:12 PM
  • Reply Vonnie

Such a fun look! If we had any good summer festivals around here, I would love to rock this look. It looks amazing on you!
    My recent post Influenster's Summer VoxBox

July 13, 2012 at 7:41 PM
  • Reply @MaggiesMakeup

You are SO cute. Like…kittens are falling over and weeping from how not-cute they are in comparison.
    My recent post Makeup Storage and Organization – Video

July 13, 2012 at 9:06 PM
  • Reply Makeup Kismet

You are so cuteeeee! Pixie Lott's got nothing on you!

July 14, 2012 at 2:33 AM
  • Reply emmabovary

Ah stunning! And no-one could ever be disappointed with your face, you are stunning :) This really does make me want to go to a festival, or at the very least play with some face paint!

July 14, 2012 at 3:23 AM
  • Reply Kiss & Make-up

You look stunning! You actually managed to make this look wearable, I love it :-)
    My recent post Beauty experiment: half-and-half nail polish

July 15, 2012 at 11:23 AM
  • Reply toyarosie

Yep, you should be darn happy about this Rae – my GOODNESS it's fabulous, I adore how this looks! It makes me want to go to a music festival in a really serious way. It's perfect and ethereal and lovely and so darn pretty! You outdid yourself my dear, wow – just wow :)
    My recent post So Many Products, Not Enough Time…Interim Quickie Polish Post

July 15, 2012 at 1:40 PM
  • Reply Fleur

This is such an amazing look! You are uber talented. I really want to try this out for myself now! xo
    My recent post What do you wear to a summer fair? FOTD and OOTD