THE LIPSTICK BANDITS | The shade that started the fire

This round of Lipstick Bandit posts came with the challenge of the starter lipstick: your very first (for those of us who still remember what our first shade was), or a lipstick that would make a good gateway drug into a full-fledged lipstick addiction.

The lipstick I chose to feature wasn’t my very first lipstick, but it was one of the first that I really fell in love with. I hope you will, too!

The product: Lancome Color Fever lipstick in Rose Tempest

I feel a little guilty about featuring this one, seeing as it’s long since been discontinued, but, well – what can you do, right? It was “the one,” and memories don’t exactly grow on trees. (Though it would be fabulous if they did, wouldn’t it?)

Rose Tempest is an interesting shade; a rather plain-Jane my lips but better sort, but there’s something just so about it. Imagine if you crossed a yellow-based pink with an olive-brown nude, gave it a lovely satin-creme formula, and scented it lightly with rose petals and bright, juicy berries. You’d get Rose Tempest exactly; the perfect daytime lipstick, with an unexpected edge of versatility and luxury. (This would look brilliant on so many different skintones that it’s not even funny, and have you seen that tube?)

A single swipe of Rose Tempest

bare lips

One layer of Rose Tempest on lips

For a dupe, try something like Maybelline Warm Me Up or MAC Modesty. They’re not exact copies (I much prefer the Color Fever formula and scent to both, though of course it isn’t without its flaws), but the shades are almost spot-on.

The Maybelline is great if you’re on a budget, but I’m not fond of scent, and the formula feels much heavier on my lips; on the other hand, I’ve never been a huge fan of MAC lipsticks (I find most of their formulas too drying), and I prefer lip products that are lightly fruity than ones that smell like vanilla.

I don’t get a ton of wear out of Rose Tempest, because I’m rather afraid of what I’ll do when I run out, but, well. If either of these dupes are even half as lovely – you’re going to adore them.

We’re awesome. Seriously.

Want to see what the other Lipstick Bandits chose for their “starter lipstick”? Check out the links below. (I’m dying to see what everyone else picked, but I’m probably not going to read the posts for at least another six hours. Reading week, here I come!)

• Reply A Lipstick Bandit Looks Back: The Introduction to Obsession |

[…] Rae (theNotice: a beauty blog) […]

February 20, 2012 at 6:01 AM
  • Reply mostlysunnybunny

You're right Rae, this is the perfect daytime lipstick! Annnd you're right about the lipstick bandits being AWESOME!
    My recent post Skincare Review: L’Occitane Shea Butter One Minute Hand Scrub (and a Cheap Kitchen Alternative)

February 20, 2012 at 6:53 AM
  • Reply Maggie

Such a lovely color, Rae! Rose lip colors are quickly becoming my favorite :) My go-to right now is Revlon's Soft Rose (which is the same as MM's!)

Darn you, Lipstick Bandits — you're all I see on my dashboard hahaha
    My recent post Teal Enchantment

February 20, 2012 at 7:26 AM
  • Reply herroyalbleakness

What a cute post on remembering which product started the addiction :) This is such a nice shade! Will swatch those from Maybelline and MAC to have a physical feel of Rose Tempest's vibe :D
    My recent post The Grand Palace

February 20, 2012 at 8:23 AM
  • Reply Arianne

It's totally a MLBB on you! Good for me we're totally different skin tones and this will probably look deathly pale on me, but it's gorgeous on you. ;)
    My recent post Lipstick Bandits: The One That Started The Obsession.

February 20, 2012 at 8:38 AM
  • Reply bloominbeauty

Wow, it's so lovely, Rae! I had a feeling I would see a few (including my own) that are discontinued. Le sigh, it's bound to happen after several years. But this, I can see why you fell in love with it. It's so wearable and dainty, giving your lips a perfect definition. :)

February 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM
  • Reply Jamilla

Gateway drug = LOL! Very lovely shade!

February 20, 2012 at 9:24 AM
  • Reply Jyoan

Rose colour is really arguably the easiest to wear for everyone! My first lipgloss was a rose colour from L'oreal. LOL, at that time, I hated lipsticks.

Till now, I still jump at Rose colour lipstick/lipglosses, because I know I can definitely wear it!

February 20, 2012 at 10:01 AM
  • Reply Lipstick Bandits: The One That Started The Obsession. | Glitter Geek

[…] Rae (theNotice: a beauty blog) […]

February 20, 2012 at 10:38 AM
  • Reply Here Do I Present An Introduction to Lipstick | Makeup Morsels

[…] Rae (theNotice: a beauty blog) […]

February 20, 2012 at 10:42 AM
  • Reply Naomi

looks lovely on the lips, too bad it's discontinued!

February 20, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I'm pretty sure I'm the one person these shades do not look good on, but it definitely suits you! :P
    My recent post Back to the Very Beginning

February 20, 2012 at 11:10 AM
  • Reply Beauty Reflections

This is such a perfect shade! Why is it gone Lancome? Why?
    I will need to check out MAC Modesty next time.
    My recent post Lipstick Bandits The One That Got Me

February 20, 2012 at 11:15 AM
  • Reply Rocaille

Beautiful packaging on this one for sure! It's funny how you and Dani chose such similar shades – I think that's a hint for me to start looking for one of the shades you mentioned.
    My recent post Lipstick Bandits: Becoming a Lipstick Lover

February 20, 2012 at 11:43 AM
  • Reply Makeup Morsels

Ah, I love that one of the other Bandits featured Warm Me Up! This looks so gorgeous and wearable, I usually shy away from paler pinks like this because I'm worried they'll wash me out, but you have given me hope. To the drugstore!
    My recent post Here Do I Present An Introduction to Lipstick

February 20, 2012 at 12:09 PM
  • Reply messywands

I have much angry for the discontinuedness of this shade >:(
    My recent post Lipstick Bandits: The First One

February 20, 2012 at 1:14 PM
  • Reply Musing on Beauty

I have a general unexplained dislike of Anything Lancome (excepted Erika F) but their lipsticks look tempting, and this one adds more to the temptation.
    My recent post Lipstick Bandits: Starter Lipstick

February 20, 2012 at 2:01 PM
  • Reply Emi

What a fabulous idea for a post! Would it be horribly uncouth for me to steal this idea and post a starter lipstick of my own, giving full credit and links of course?
    My recent post Silver Chrome and Foil Nail Polish Comparison, Swaches

February 20, 2012 at 2:31 PM
  • Reply dani@callitbeauty

Dupes *and* references to gateway drugs? Great minds think alike? I think so!

NYAHAHAHAHA!

My recent post Said You Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'…

February 20, 2012 at 2:33 PM
  • Reply Start me up: NARS Gipsy Sheer Lipstick | My Funny Valentine

[…] Rae (theNotice: a beauty blog) […]

February 20, 2012 at 3:09 PM
  • Reply Jen W

What a beautiful shade. I think I'm going to go into a corner and cry until I find this on ebay.

February 20, 2012 at 4:15 PM
  • Reply Makeup Kismet

AHHH I love how you and Dani think/thought alike. Though, I must admit, I love Rose Tempest most because of the uber simple and classy packaging. It's strange but I also feel safe knowing there is a dupe out there and it's Lipstick Bandit approved!

February 20, 2012 at 4:18 PM
  • Reply Rolala

It's a very pretty and wearable color. No wonder you fell in love with it. I like the simple sleek silver casing too.
    My recent post Food & Drink : Truffles

February 20, 2012 at 4:49 PM
  • Reply Jessica

Why why why would they discontinue this? Not only is the shade beautiful, but the name is so … awesome! It speaks to the lit nerd in me.

It looks stunning on you: I understand why you wear it sparingly.
    ♥ Jessica
    My recent post A Neutral Lover Does Neon: MAC's Viva Glam Nikki

February 20, 2012 at 4:50 PM
  • Reply fabulouslyfrugirl

I really like this colour on you! Now that I am starting to experiment with different lipsticks, I now know what beauty bloggers are talking about when they say a lipstick formula is "drying". I've experimented with a few drugstore brands and even though I like the Revlon Blushing Nude colour, I find that after an hour or so, it gets dry, as well. :(

Would you say that higher end lipsticks in general have a better formulation in terms of being less dry and more pigmented?

February 20, 2012 at 4:52 PM
  • Reply Gayle

It's a beautiful natural color!

February 20, 2012 at 5:58 PM
  • Reply anna

Aww, this reminds me of my first lipstick purchase. Now I am all nostalgic!

February 20, 2012 at 7:25 PM
  • Reply Sara-May

Posting this was just mean! I would have bought it right now if it was still available! Thanks for suggesting some dupes though, I'll have try and get my hands on one.
    My recent post Ciccone Cosmetics Lipstick – Review, Photos, Swatches

February 20, 2012 at 7:35 PM
  • Reply Paris B

I found it funny how a few of us went for discontinued colours, ranges and brands :D I love how nondescript this lipstick looks but how pretty and natural it looks on your lips without looking dull and washed out. Its no wonder you fell in love with this one :D
    My recent post That REN Skincare video that has me wondering just how clean is clean?

February 20, 2012 at 11:25 PM
  • Reply Liz

Well, gee! If my first lipstick was as pretty as this one, I wouldn't be so afraid! But one of my first was a ghastly orange Elizabeth Arden that still haunts me to this day. YOU LIPSTICK BANDITS WILL NEVER CATCH ME! lol
    My recent post Bliss Triple Oxygen Mask and Cream

February 21, 2012 at 7:33 AM
  • Reply toyarosie

Pretty!! I love this shade! You should definitely give it more love, it looks great on you! I cant' imagine this not working with almost every look! I don't yet have a MLBB shade, but after looking at this I'm thinking I REALLY gotta get on it!

February 21, 2012 at 6:06 PM
  • Reply Eden-Avalon

Darn youuuuuuuu and your D/c'd lippies D:
    My recent post MAC Zoom Lash Mascara in Zoomblack – Review

February 22, 2012 at 5:14 PM
  • Reply CeeKay

I was 15 and my mom bought like six tubes of the same lipstick online, and gave one to me. It was an Anna Sui Rouge S, in a shade slightly lighter and much shimmerier than, say, Mac Subculture lip liner. The S in the product name stands for sheer, and I liked how subtle but sophisticated it made me feel. Lasting power? What lasting power? Oh, and it was expensive. So definitely not something I’d buy for myself. But the nice rose scent and pretty purple packaging… I die.

February 22, 2012 at 7:23 PM
  • Reply vanajakshi

Nice shade. I like this lipstick. :):)

May 16, 2012 at 11:21 PM