LIP SET WEEK(end) | Bite High Pigment Pencil Trio: review, photos, swatches

The product: Bite High Pigment Pencil Trio (High Pigment Matte Pencils in Pomegranate, Honey Berry, and Bouquet)

The formula: the Bite High Pigment Pencils feel absolutely gorgeous. Good mattes have a very specific texture, and it’s hard to describe unless you already own a matte with a similar formula. It’s sort of… well, it’s sort of a bit like poutine. Everyone always says that the cheese “squeaks,” which makes no sense to someone who’s only ever had fries, and so much sense the second you try your first bite of cheese curd.

So, yeah, these pencils have the formula of a good matte. Velvety, surprisingly lightweight, and (perhaps most importantly), not drying!! There’s a bit of a lingering “fruity” scent, which I’d have preferred to do without, but the gorgeous shades & formula more than make up for it. (Worth noting: I believe the fragrance is naturally-derived, so those who have problems with synthetic scent headaches should be OK with these.)

The shades: Bite’s High Pigment Pencil Trio includes full-size versions of three of the line’s six High Pigment Pencil shades: Pomegranate (described as a rich red), Honey Berry (toasted almond), and Bouquet (peachy pink). The amount of pigment they’ve packed into these is really, really impressive – I’m used to being let down by “high pigment” marketing talk, but pigment-wise, these really deliver!

Of course, Pomegranate is my favourite of the three – it’s a delicious, completely opaque, bright blue-red. As fair warning, though, it has a sort of wild red vibe: no red lipstick is understated, of course, but this one seems particularly bright. As far as mattes go, though, it’s very forgiving. The formula of Pomegranate seems to wear  just a bit more velvety than the other two, but I’m not complaining!

Bite High Pigment Matte Pencil swatch in Pomegranate

Honey Berry was perhaps the most surprising of the bunch; it’s a medium brown (which normally look awful on me), but somehow, it looks totally fine – even against my fair skintone. I’ve swatched it for full opacity here, but it really brings its A-game when worn sheerly. It’s an unexpectedly lovely medium nude, with just the right balance of yellow, brown, and pink tones.

Bite High Pigment Matte Pencil swatch in Honey Berry

Finally, Bouquet is a lot brighter than I thought it would be. It looks a fair bit more muted in these swatches than it does in real life, where it (like Pomegranate) comes to the field as anything but demure. It’s bright, loud, and will definitely appeal to lovers of shades like MAC Chatterbox and Please Me. There’s something about this shade that, when paired with the matte finish, takes it from quiet to L-O-U-D in ten seconds flat.

Bite High Pigment Matte Pencil swatch in Bouquet

Is it giftable?

Yes. But with reserves! For a beauty addict, this would be a fab gift – it’s all gorgeous satin-matte finishes and high pigment. For a muggle, though? Perhaps it would be best to hold off. Pick up a Colour & Shine set for them instead, perhaps!

As for whether or not this set is a good deal for yourself: it’s $38 US, but has a $72 US value. The pencils twist up (always a plus; no need for a sharpener), and I’m betting that you’re all going to pick up Pomegranate anyways. So, in short, yeah. It’s a good deal. ;)

As an introduction to the Bite line, the High Pigment Pencils are fantastic. I’m excited to try more! Which, okay, is probably going to take forever, because it’s me, but still. I’ll get to it. Eventually.

Bite High Pigment Matte Pencil ingredients

And perhaps the best part…

Made in Canada!

• Reply Silhouettex

Pomegranate…oh dear…*fans self* O___O
    My recent post 5 Days of Lipstick Vol. III

December 18, 2011 at 3:05 AM
  • Reply kuri

absolutely gorgeous! If I ever run across this I'll have to pick it up. Love the honey berry color in particular!
    My recent post Annie's island fresh burgers

December 18, 2011 at 5:18 AM
  • Reply Bun Bun Makeup Tips

You look gorgeous in Pomegranate! Really brightens up your face! How's the lasting power though?
    My recent post Make Me Youthful Again, Bourjois Youth Extension Flower Perfection Foundation SPF 15!

December 18, 2011 at 7:47 AM
  • Reply Jamilla

I LOVE you in Reds! Absolutely GORGEOUS!

December 18, 2011 at 8:25 AM
  • Reply Jessica

I think I need these! I'm all about lip pencils, especially when they're as smooth as these appear to be. Love your poutine comparison: definitely sums up the unique texture of the product.

Bright red is definitely your color. Pomegranate looks absolutely amazing on you.
    ♥ Jessica
    My recent post NARS 413BLKR

December 18, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Hurray! These look gorgeous on you. I think I want to try that Honey one now. I was afraid it'd make me look terrible, but I have high hopes now!
    My recent post Kicking Off De-Grinch Week with an EOTD!

December 18, 2011 at 11:46 AM
  • Reply Tiffany

These lip pencils look lovely!!!! *o* Pomegranate is GORGEOUS!! Kind of want to try these for myself now….lol. And they're available on Sephora? Oh dear…hehh.
    My recent post Recap of Shecky's Girls Night Out~

December 18, 2011 at 11:57 AM
  • Reply Maggie

Oh, I didn't realize these were made in Canada. FANTASTIC.
    My recent post This Just In – Faux Lash

December 18, 2011 at 12:19 PM
  • Reply BeautyReflects

SOLD. :) They look fab on you! :)
    My recent post A Beauty Blogger's BFF-The OttLite

December 18, 2011 at 1:04 PM
  • Reply Alex - Lakehead University

Pomegranate looks BEYOND on you! Gorgeous :)
    My recent post FOTD: From Nepal to Cordura…

December 18, 2011 at 2:34 PM
  • Reply Nina

OK quick comment: The second I saw you with Pomegranate on, I thought "man, she looks beautiful!" And didn't even look at other shades :D

December 18, 2011 at 3:57 PM
  • Reply Kris Kritique

beautiful colors! I love it!

December 18, 2011 at 5:14 PM
  • Reply rites of beauty

I like Honey Berry the most. I saw some adorable little Bite lipsticks in Sephora recently. Are you planning to review those? I hope so!!!
    My recent post Shopping Indecision: Black Pants, Belts, and More

December 18, 2011 at 5:43 PM
  • Reply AdorableOnYourVanity

I got the one in Velvet – it is allegedly a "bright rose" but it looks so pasty and ghostly against by skin tone. The formula is total love though and I especially love pomegranate; it is flawless on you! I may return velvet and get that :)
    My recent post Link Love – 17/12/11

December 18, 2011 at 7:13 PM
  • Reply Makeup Kismet

*swoons*
    Pomegranate looks lovely on you. Actually, all of them look lovely on you!

December 18, 2011 at 10:50 PM
  • Reply Rocaille

Wow, these are absolutely beautiful! And yes, Pomegranate is just… beyond :)
    My recent post RockEye: Lancôme Hypnôse Drama Mascara Review

December 19, 2011 at 12:10 AM
  • Reply rachael

I love that red on you!!

December 19, 2011 at 9:32 AM
  • Reply @BloominBeauty5

All of these colors suit you SO well! The red is stunning, but the pink one also a nice feminine sweet shade on you. Love them Rae!!

December 19, 2011 at 10:54 AM
  • Reply Xiao

You are SO pretty, Rae!! *chomps head*

Me and my pimples need a paper bag to hide in now
    My recent post Le Métier de Beauté Nude Polishes

December 19, 2011 at 6:05 PM
  • Reply Eden-Avalon

xD I agree with everyone above, Pomegranate looks spectacular on you!
    My recent post Orange Lip Looks Part 3 – Golden Girl

December 20, 2011 at 2:52 PM
  • Reply Jen W

WOW they look beautiful! I can see by the photos how velvety and gorgeous the texture is.

December 20, 2011 at 10:53 PM
  • Reply Arianne

Uh, Rae? Holy shit. This is awesome. All three are beautiful.

Pardon the French. :) I'm just blown away at how awesome these are.
    My recent post Merry Christmas!

December 25, 2011 at 10:54 AM
  • Reply theNotice: a beauty blog » Lipstick Bandits | A Holiday Red Lip

[…] that I can’t get enough of – the Bite High Pigment Lip Pencil in Pomegranate. (Review here). After a quick layer of Pomegranate, I layered Stila’s Brown Sugar Lip Glaze overtop for a […]

December 28, 2011 at 6:02 AM
  • Reply Rola

Wow, I love Pomegranate and Honey Berry. Gorgeous!
    My recent post MAC Glitter and Ice Holiday Colour Collection

December 29, 2011 at 11:18 PM
  • Reply Shiok Leng

OMG! I love your teeth! Haha! =)
    My recent post Results

February 18, 2012 at 2:32 PM
  • Reply Bite Beauty: High Pigment Pencil in Chablis | Beautyjagd

[…] Swatches der Lippenstifte von Bite Beauty, gefunden habe ich z.B. welche bei Makeup Junkie oder The Notice. So habe ich mich mit einer gewissen Unsicherheit für die Nuance Chablis entschieden. Mit dem Wein […]

November 13, 2012 at 3:46 AM
  • Reply Jenny

Honey Berry looks great on you! I hope it will look like that on my lips because I just want something to tone down my lips! LOL and loved the "made in Canada" part!

December 20, 2012 at 12:03 AM