Decisions, decisions (aka “The Indecision and the Beast”)

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

So – I have to start a new medication soon, and I can’t for the life of me pick one, and… well, basically, I’m just wondering what you lovely ladies would do. Which is a little ridiculous, I know, but I’m just so darn curious!

Because this is so very (very very very) off-topic, I’m going to sneak the rest under a cut, so feel free to skip this post (which will be taken down in a day or two)… or read on ;)

whee irrelevant makeup photos to break up the text

{this one’s from this post}

The ten-second bazillion minute rundown

Both drugs that I’m considering are immunosuppressive TNF inhibitors known as biologics, a class of drugs used to treat moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis. In terms of effectiveness and safety, they should be equal (biologics do this weird thing where they sometimes work and sometimes don’t, depending on the person, no one really knows why… it just kind of happens), so at this point it’s more of a “lifestyle choice” than anything else.

If you’re interested in reading more about the two drugs, rheumatoid arthritis, or biologics in general, feel free to check out the links below!

Wikipedia: golimumab (Simponi), inflixiab (Remicade), TNF inhibitor, rheumatoid arthritis

Drug websites: Simponi, Remicade

Blogs: RA Warrior, Rheumatoid Arthritis Guy

I’m not going to go really in-depth about these drugs, because a) I really don’t think anyone out there would care to read a six-page paper on them, b) they’re very similar in terms of side effects, etc, and c) the issues that are important to me, in particular, simply wouldn’t span six pages! So, without further adieu…

{from this post}

Option one: Remicade

Remicade is….

• Administered via: IV in a rather comfy injection clinic; every two months (but would likely require me to miss a day of work/school/etc)
  • Injection volume: 250ml
  • Public availability: 1998
  • Makeup: mouse/human chimeric antibody

Option two: Simponi

Simponi is…

• Administered via: subcutaneous injection; monthly (done at home; wouldn’t take more than ten minutes)
  • Injection volume: 0.5ml
  • Public availability: 2009 (this is my only major issue with Simponi – erk!)
  • Makeup: fully human

{from this post}

The poll!

Thanks for answering, my dearlings! (That’s right, dearlings.) & I’ll see you soon with some more, erm, makeup-y babble ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
share this post:Email this to someoneTweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookPin on PinterestShare on Google+Share on RedditShare on StumbleUponDigg this

30 Responses to “Decisions, decisions (aka “The Indecision and the Beast”)”

1. Erin, on May 10th, 2011 at 7:04 am said:

I am a pharmacy tech, which by NO means makes me an expert, but I have a wee bit more knowledge that the average person. I think you are very right to be concerned about the short time that Simponi has been on the market. There are so very many drugs that are approved by the FDA (I'm in the States, obviously) and then pulled from the market once they have been found to be unsafe. My first choice, since you have been given a choice, would be to try the one that has been on the market much longer.

2. Larie, on May 10th, 2011 at 9:21 am said:

good luck, dear. hope everything works out :)
    My recent post Diorskin Nude Glow Healthy Glow Summer Powder- 001 Aurora

3. So I am not going to vote since I really don't think I can make a good decision for you but I will provide you with a little bit of experience.

My younger brother is a diabetic. So we have dealt with the at home injections and the full day medical appointments.
    As a show of support everyone in my family has gone through the diabetic routine a handful of time. Trust me pricking yourself for drawing blood hurts but doing your own injection is easy, once you get past the mental block. I don't know what type of needle you will be using but if you have the option to go with a pen type.
    All day appointments really are not that bad either. You will find ways to keep yourself busy. The only thing is that it can be difficult to keep your condition to your self, if that is what you want to do, with such frequent doctors appointments on top of your normal personal days.
    I wish you all the best!

4. Hey Rae,
    I take a subcutaneous injection ever day for my MS medicine. Everyday. For 11 years now. Once a month sounds divine to me. I have an injector, which I'm sure you'll get too and it's really easy.
    Two years on the market, 11 years on the market-there can always be something wrong with a drug whenever. When I chose my drug, it was a fairly new choice for MS and that didn't bother me.
    In the end, you really have to choose yourself. You know which one you want and what will work for you.
    Good luck!
    My recent post Annabelle Smoothliner in Urban Jungle Melts My Teal-Lovin Heart

5. Oh, and I forgot–*HUG* :)
    My recent post Annabelle Smoothliner in Urban Jungle Melts My Teal-Lovin Heart

6. Nina, on May 10th, 2011 at 2:45 pm said:

I chose Simponi actually just because it's self injectable (hmm, is that a word?) and should be easy and not putting you thru all day appointments. BUT, it's really bothersome that it's only available since 2009. So, as you can see I'm very hesitant too =D By the way, I asked my fiancé his opinion and he said that you should ask your doctor why there is so much difference in the amount of drugs and their applying methods if they're basically the same of effects. Just our humble opinions =) I hope everything goes well and please update us with your decision!

7. Roxanne, on May 10th, 2011 at 3:33 pm said:

Obviously drugs work differently for everybody, but I tend to go with the tried and true version first. My deal is that if it's been working for years for many people, then there is a bit of a higher chance that it will work for you! Of course this isn't always the case… My mom has epilepsy and was on the typical medication, but it stopped working. The only one that works is one of the newer drugs that (thankfully!!!) is now covered by my dad's healthcare plan.

Is there a difference in price for you? Sometimes newer drugs/treatments aren't covered by healthcare (and even extended plans -__-), so that's something you'll definitely need to look into as well. Like I said above, my mom's medication was only covered recently and I know personally that when I tried NuvaRing, which is fairly new, it wasn't covered.

8. makeupmorsels, on May 10th, 2011 at 5:38 pm said:

Hello *and hug* Simponi does sound like the more convenient option, but I would agree w/ everyone else that something which has been on the market for 1998 is probably more reliable. Then again, I'm no expert on this, so I hope that whichever one you choose works well for you :)

btw, unrelated but I made a lightbox today!
    My recent post This Just In Kinda- Catrice Summer ’11 Preview

9. Allison, on May 10th, 2011 at 5:45 pm said:

I'd go with the Remicade. I know Simponi sounds convenient and that's always nice, but I think Remicade is the safer choice. At the clinic, you'll have a nurse administering the drug, making sure all is well. Having to miss a day of school and work every two months makes up for the fact that you'll be in a safe place, receiving a drug that is seemingly more reliable.

Sending the best to you from southern Alberta :)

10. Kali, on May 10th, 2011 at 7:58 pm said:

Remicade sounds like more of a hassle for sure, but the fact that it's been on the market since '98 is too big of a draw in my opinion! Best of luck with whatever decision you ultimately make, I know it'll be the right one.

11. Kate & Zena, on May 10th, 2011 at 11:15 pm said:

Honestly, it's your body and it IS up to you. I'm honestly someone who'd rather sacrifice a day at the office for the hospital so I know if I get a bad reaction, I have a nurse there. When you're dealing with really high dose/experimental/whatever drugs, I want to be in a hospital environment or a doctor's office; I know you know how much I dislike hospitals (the smell, oh God, the smell), so saying that means something. So, that's why I picked Remicade. I'd rather be safe than have a bad reaction and have no one around (been there, done that).

I worry that this may be going too powerful (can't think of the word) too quickly though. Remicade is pretty powerful stuff. I worry about you, y'know. We're wavelength sisters.

12. I don't know the details and history of your condition, but why do you need to start on new medication? MTX is also a disease-modifying drug which you mentioned you are already taking. Is it not helping?

Remicade is an established drug. I would suggest Remicade.

*hugs, Rae*
    My recent post A-Blush-A-Day- Nos 13 &amp 14- Prorance Sunny Glam Water Glow Skinfinish in M11 &amp M18 – Swatches &amp Reviews

Write a Comment