Friday, May 28, 2010
Alright, so there isn’t any real “reason” to post this right now — but I keep getting asked the same question, and I’m tired of having to retype an answer each time!
I’m not claiming to be god or anything
(just kidding, I totally am,) but here are my basics for traveling with makeup and skincare. The list can be altered as much as you please, but I hope it’ll serve as a good starting point for you ladies!
For an overnighter: plan out the next day’s look before going, and keep it as simple as possible!
- Travel or sample sizes of your day moisturizer and cleanser, and (optionally,) your toner, serum, and night cream. (Don’t have samples? Try this neat trick!)
- One blush, preferably cream (so you don’t have to bring a brush,)
- One or two eyeshadows for a quick neutral eye, plus one all-over eye brush if you can’t live without one,
- A tube of tinted lip balm,
- Tinted moisturizer and/or concealer, plus powder and brushes if needed,
- Mascara, liner, and a lash curler!
For a week-long trip: try to bring versatile products to lessen the load.
- Travel sizes of your day and night moisturizers, cleanser, toner, and serum.
- A sample packet or trial size of your exfoliator, or a cleansing pad/washcloth to use in conjunction with your regular cleanser to exfoliate.
- Two eyeshadow duos/trios/quads : one neutral, and one colour.
- Two lip colours — one gloss and one lipstick or stain
- And a tube of lip balm, or tinted lip balm!
- Two or three different blushes/face colours, plus appropriate brushes (tip: pick two mattes and one sheer shimmer, which can be layered with the others!)
- Foundation, concealer, and/or powder, plus brushes if needed,
- Primers (again, if needed,)
- Mascara, liner (black, grey, or brown — take your pick!) and a lash curler.
For a month or more: keep the lip and cheek colours pretty versatile, then bring a set of shadows for a dependable neutral eye, plus some colour and fun stuff!
- Your day and night moisturizers, cleanser, toner, serum, and exfoliator,
- Two eyeshadow palettes — a small quad of neturals, plus a couple trios or a larger palette of brights/colours.
- Two all-over eye brushes, two blending brushes, and a liner brush,
- Three or four lip colours; I’d go with a my-lips-but-better pink-plum, a red, a peachy pink, and a nude… plus a handful of glosses, of course!
- Lip balm! I’d take one with SPF, one tinted, and a tube of Vaseline.
- Three or four blushers. (I’d take a matte pink, a matte plum, and a sheer shimmery peach, with two blush brushes.)
- Foundation, concealer, and/or powder, plus brushes,
- Eye and face primers,
- Two or three liners — I’d take one black, one brown or grey, and one peach (if you tend to use a lighter colour on your waterline.)
- A tube or two of mascara, and a lash curler,
- And some maybes: glitter liner, false lashes — y’know, the fun stuff!
Things you might be forgetting:
- Blotting tissue
- Band-aids and Polysporin
- Tweezers, nail clippers and files, little scissors, and q-tips
- Blemish treatments and masques
- The kitchen sink
- Wax strips/razors/etc
- Shampoo, conditioner, soap, and shaving cream