Thoughts on: tipping

Friday, October 30, 2009

I’ve always wanted to briefly discuss this, but let’s be frank — I have an attention span of ZERO when it comes to money and finances. (Sorry, my lovely finance blogging friends!) So, here’s what will hopefully be a short post on tipping! (Resource for the “standard”: CNN tipping guide and an article from Lemondrop.com)

(And hey — if you’re like me and will probably just skim this post, here is the main idea: I think that tipping has gotten way out of hand.)

HOW CUTE IS THIS SQUIRREL?!?!

Waitstaff

Recommended: 20%+

theNotice: recognizes that this is pretty normal, but doesn’t tip that much… 15% is the standard, and 20% is only if the service was standout. Perhaps because Canadian servers make normal wage, unlike American ones?

Hair

Recommended: 15-20% for the stylist, plus $5 to the person who shampoos you, and $10 to whoever blow dries your hair

theNotice: thinks that they have to be joking. This would make sense in a big-city high-end salon if the cut itself was closer to $100 than it was to “sane”, but for normal people, this is nuts! A good cut in my city is $40-60, meaning if you follow these rules, you’re tipping the person who blow dries your hair almost as much or more than the person who actually cuts it. No flippin’ way!

Think of it this way: your cut is $50. Now add tax (I pay 5% but most provinces have PST, so let’s assume 10% for simplicity,) a 20% tip, $5 for the shampoo, and $10 for blowdrying. Suddenly you’re paying $30 more than the listed price… which is a 60% markup.

Hotel houskeeping

Recommended: $2-5 per night

theNotice: has never heard of this before. What??!

Food stuff

Recommended: $1 if your bags are carried out to your car, $1.50 if you have more than three

theNotice:
YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING. I do not expect some little ‘old person or someone with a bad back to have to pay for their groceries to go to their car just because they can’t lift them. Not when the person carrying them out is already being paid at least minimum wage. Newsflash — they get hourly. So when they take groceries out to customers’ cars, they are still being paid. I have to say it, hate me if you will: double-dipping much?!

Recommended: $2 per pizza minimum — 20% recommended — for the delivery person because “food delivery can be dangerous if delivering to crime-ridden neighborhoods or driving in bad weather”

theNotice: 20% is what you tip a server. Because you are getting service. So unless that pizza boy is bringing you drinks and grinding your pepper, there is no way he or she deserves 20%. I mean, let’s say you get a few pizzas for you and the girls, and it works out to $50. Suddenly, the delivery boy gets $10 just for doing his job. Dude, what else are you supposed to expect when you get a job as a delivery guy?! You deliver stuff! Surprise! *rolls eyes* It’s not like they’re actually in life-or-death situations… they’re in a car. And they should damn well know how to drive it in bad weather if they sign up for the job in the first place.

Well, my rant is over… so what are your thoughts? I would love to hear your take on this stuff!! Agree/disagree? Think I’m a total stingy nutter?? Share!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
share this post:Email this to someoneTweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookPin on PinterestShare on Google+Share on RedditShare on StumbleUponDigg this

18 Responses to “Thoughts on: tipping”

1. Lisa Kate, on October 30th, 2009 at 12:21 am said:

Wait, so Canadian waiters make normal wage AND get tips?! I wanna move to Canada.

2. FB @ FabulouslyBroke, on October 30th, 2009 at 4:59 am said:

Only you could find a cute squirrel with money :PTipping is really getting out of hand.15% is the standard for me, in tipping. And I have only left 0% TWICE because the waiter was really horrific.Generally, I tip quite well…

3. beautifulmonday, on October 30th, 2009 at 5:30 am said:

i have a lot to do work-wise today so i'll keep this brief.

WHAT SHE SAID.

4. Rae // theNotice, on October 30th, 2009 at 6:50 am said:

Laura: lol!! Have fun at work being "productive" =P

5. All Women Stalker, on October 30th, 2009 at 7:31 am said:

Yeah, the tipping system in the western world is just too much.

-meream

6. Rae // theNotice, on October 30th, 2009 at 8:26 am said:

Lisa Kate: LOL!! I'm not 100% sure about it, but the ones I know do. It's a pretty sweet deal, eh?

7. Rae // theNotice, on October 30th, 2009 at 8:26 am said:

Meream: *nods*

8. Rae // theNotice, on October 30th, 2009 at 8:27 am said:

Anon: I see your point, but I've just never understood tipping for stuff like that. They're already getting paid to do their jobs, so why would you pay them MORE, out of your own pocket, because they do their jobs? I would totally understand tipping if they went above and beyond what's required, but normally, I don't know *shrugs*

9. almondsandapples, on October 30th, 2009 at 9:21 am said:

Okay, so I just wrote the world's longest comment about this and then the computer told me some BS about having a wordpress account. So long story short: I totally agree. As a cashier/bagger (don't judge!) especially about the food stuff category.

10. Anonymous, on October 30th, 2009 at 9:23 am said:

A lot of people don't know that you're supposed to tip the maid at hotels/motels. I was a maid years ago at a fairly nice hotel and I rarely got tips. Although from what remember, the standard is $2 per *person*, per night – so if it's a couple, they'd leave $4 per day. A few people here and there actually followed this, but honestly it was pretty rare. But if anyone at the hotel deserves a tip, it's the maid.

11. Rae // theNotice, on October 30th, 2009 at 3:29 pm said:

FB: Yah, I'm awesome like that =D But no, in all seriousness… I saw it and KNEW I had to have it on theNotice.

I luckily have not had an incident in which I left a 0% tip, thank goodness! *knocks on wood* I think the most I've left is about a 35% tip, because a large group of us stayed about twenty minutes after the restaurant was supposed to close and they were really great about it.

12. Rae // theNotice, on October 30th, 2009 at 6:04 pm said:

a&a: Darn, I would have liked to read it! And no judging — I don't even HAVE a job, so I'm pretty sure that also makes me totally unqualified to judge you :P

13. Anonymous, on November 1st, 2009 at 12:53 am said:

I have a friend who refuses to tip. At first I just thought she was cheap but after I heard her explanation I couldn't help but agree.
    It was this: they get paid at least minimum wage (I'm in Canada too – Toronto specifically). All they are REALLY doing is carrying your food to you, they aren't even cooking it. As for splitting tips with the cooks, well they get paid too (these were all her words).
    Her point of comparison was that when she worked in retail, she was also paid minimum wage only. She provided a "service" by bringing people their clothes, more when they were in the change rooms, cleaning up after them when they left the store in a mess etc etc. But she was never tipped so what exactly is the difference?

I still give in to social pressure though, and I always tip. But she definitely made some good points. If theyre getting paid at least minimum wage, then they arent being paid an outrageously low amount for what they do.

Anyway sorry for the rant. New to your blog by the way, and i'm really enjoying it!

-Karen

14. Rae // theNotice, on November 1st, 2009 at 3:34 am said:

Karen: exactly! I get it in the US, where the waitstaff are paid like, $2 an hour — but why are Canadians paying someone to do a job they're already being paid for? Like you, I don't really understand or encourage it, but I still do tip. That was NOT a rant in my books, and it was really nice to hear you and your friend's points of view!! Welcome to theNotice, hon :)

15. Hello – new to your blog, just came over from MBB – and I have to say that tipping is getting a little crazy these days. I live in Florida, so the servers here don't make minimum wage, so I always tip. But I did read recently that "20% is the new 15%" and I think that's unfair. Especially when servers make me wait for drink refills, or give me attitude about not hustling out when I'm finished. The hair salon thing is really hysterical. But I go to a small town salon where a cut costs $30 bucks and my stylist also washes and dries my hair. She gets a $5-8 tip. And tipping grocery baggers? Huh?!? It's not like the baggers are sherpas carrying the damn food home for me!

16. Rae // theNotice, on November 2nd, 2009 at 1:55 am said:

Cris: Hi!! Welcome to theNotice =)I think that 20% being the new 15% is nuts — if the service is bad, I really wouldnt't care what the popular tipping percentage was. Bad service = bad tip, simple as that!I tried out a new stylist about a month ago who basically asked for a $10 tip on a haircut that was SO below average. My normal stylist stopped cutting for them (she damaged a muscle in her hand) and instead of calling or asking if it was okay, they simply gave me a new girl. PLUS, they raised the prices from $25 to $50, and didn't dry my hair afterwards!! I was SOPPING wet — it was honesty the crappiest service I've ever gotten."It's not the like the baggers are sherpas" -> totally made my morning!! Hilarioius =D

17. suzie wuzie, on November 2nd, 2009 at 6:03 pm said:

I think the tipping thing is going to drive me nuts when I eventually visit Canada/USA. We don't do it here and trying to calculate 15-20% is going to do my head in. Gah! But I'm sure the trip (sometime in the futuuurreee) will be worth it :P

18. Rae // theNotice, on November 2nd, 2009 at 7:31 pm said:

suzie: Man, I HAVE to move to Australia!Don't fret, my dear. I'm sure there's an app for that :P

Write a Comment