Men in makeup. Menup? Makemen. Mup. I’ll stop.

Friday, November 28, 2008

Me and ^? So not happening. Sorry, dude.

Personally, I’m not into it – maybe if he was rockin’ the whole guyliner thing, but when your man is wearing more MU than you are… there is reason for concern, is there not?

Which is not to say that I like my guys to be all butch and manly – hair gel is a godsend, and a boy with skincare routine gets bonus points in my books! But I’m drawing the line at liner, maybe a bit of concealer for acne (NOT undereye circles!) – call me sexist or whatnot, but any more and I’m hitting the hills.

Side story: There’s an SA at our Sephora that a friend and I have nicknamed DiorBoy. Asian, gorgeously high cheekbones… wears so much makeup babies may cry. It’s all applied fabulously and meticulously, though – not a pore in sight, though that thick but creaseless layer of foundation. He even does blush – always peach! The reason for the nickname? He’s their Dior boy. If you ask him for help with a product, he will recommend Dior, and nothing else. His station is littered with it – I think he used to work at the Dior counter in the Bay before Sephora nabbed him (they used to have a very made-up Asian boy right up until Sephora hit the city. Logic says it’s the same one.) (Either that or he’s the creepiest fanboy ever)

DiorBoy is very bad for my friend’s wallet. Not mine, because I have self-restraint, but he once talked her into a $40 blusher when she was in for mascara. Loves him to bits!

So? What are your thoughts on men who wear makeup?

(Alternate question: your favourite celeb eye candy + a full face of makeup, including blush and lipstick. Still love ‘em?*)

*Jensen Ackles, I would have your babies even if you wore lipgloss**.

**Even if it was blue***.

***à la Joey in Friends.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

12 Responses to “Men in makeup. Menup? Makemen. Mup. I’ll stop.”

1. Arianne, on November 28th, 2008 at 7:37 am said:

Not even guyliner. Just, no. I draw the line at cleaning up eyebrows (not shaping though, that's just weird).

2. Phouse: Hey there – welcome to theNotice! Jensen Ackles… *swoon* :P

3. Arianne: Lol!! Cleaning up eyebrows is a definite DO in my books (as well as waxing off chest and back hair. I am *repulsed* by it.) – faces have been utterly ruined by guys refusing to clean up their big, bushy brows!(Wusses)

4. suzie wuzie, on November 28th, 2008 at 10:24 am said:

there's this guy at my mac counter who wears makeup which includes eyeshadow and blush! i think it's perfectly fine considering he works at a makeup counter. as for a boyfriend to do that, i suppose I'll be ok with it (although i like the normal male) but it also depends on his circle of friends whether they are the metrosexuals or the footy sort of boys.

5. ' * : . b | u 3, on November 28th, 2008 at 11:27 am said:

I don't think I could date guys that wear makeup. It'd just be weird for me. Cleaning up brows is okay I guess but only if they looked bad naturally (ie monobrow lol)That said, I don't mind celebrities that do it. Eg. Japanese singer <a> Hyde, I don't follow him really but I love his look!

6. phouse1964, on November 28th, 2008 at 12:39 pm said:

Jensen Ackles in black guyliner and cherry lipgloss. Yum.

7. The Glitterati, on November 28th, 2008 at 1:13 pm said:

I'm totally down with male grooming to pretty much any degree. But makeup? I'm normally all for equality, and if a guy wants to wear makeup, that's cool. He just better not be MY guy, you know? Not that I'd freak if he wanted to borrow a bit of concealer one day to cover up a monster zit, or use my fancy (clear) lipbalm. Guyliner will be tolerated only if it's Halloween, or he's starting a rock band and they've got a gig that night.But when they start to look all … romantic and … wispy, then we got problems.

8. Suzie: ^^ That's a response I hadn't heard before! I can definitely see things from your pov!

9. Blu: Lol!! I suppose it *is* different if they're a celebrity in pictures – seeing him irl would prolly be a little unsettling, though :P

10. Glitterati: lol! EXACTLY how I feel! Eyeliner works for the emo look, but not the pretty-and (as you put it ) wispy look :P (I love that line!)

11. Lol! I used to know a guy that spent over 40min in the bathroom – ended up looking fab, though, so it was all good :P Hair, skincare routine, you name it! (No MU though!)

12. Snark Scribe, on November 30th, 2008 at 9:19 pm said:

Whether it’s makeup or hair I have a simple rule for guys: You must spend less time in the bathroom than me.

Write a Comment

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 5022213 bytes) in /home/content/32/4441132/html/thenotice/wp-includes/functions.php on line 364