The Lipstick Bandits | A drugstore vampy lip with Revlon Super Lustrous in Sultry Sable (and Annabelle Le Gloss in Bitten)

If you pick up just one new lipstick this season, make it a vamp. And not just because this month’s Lipstick Bandit collaboration features them–though I’m sure some of the products are going to be absolutely gorgeous–but because they’re the perfect mix of red and not-red: just as high-impact, but without all the newfound hipster-trendiness.

I’ve been looking for the perfect vampy lipstick all season (admittedly not very hard), but I’ve settled for this one until I find the perfect product.

The lip: Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Sultry Sable (646)

When in doubt, go for one of the old guard. Revlon is always a great choice when you’re breaking into a new colour family, with the Super Lustrous, ColourBurst, and Matte lines covering pretty much all of your bases. I’m not thrilled with the Canadian markup ($12 for a Revlon lipstick? Really?), but unlike mid-range/high-end brands, at least these do go on sale pretty frequently.

Sultry Sable wasn’t actually my pick at all, to be honest — my sister bought it sometime last year, passed it on to mum when she found it too hard to wear, and it eventually ended up in my drawer. We can pull off a number of the same shades, but browns are often the exception — the shades that sit well on my sister’s light olive complexion end up looking too orange against my skintone, and shades that read more reddy-mauve (case in point, this one) on me can end up washing her out.

On the eyes, I have on the super-glittery white shade from the Karl Lagerfeld for Shu Uemura Smoky Velvets Eye and Cheek Palette, which you’ll see on the blog later this week. I can’t say enough about this one — it’s so packed with multi-dimensional shimmer and glitter; you’re going to love it. Mainly translucent in tone, but with a ton of differently sized rainbow reflects, it’s hell to remove at the end of the day… but completely mesmerizing on the lids.

(And on the lashes, Giorgio Armani Eyes To Kill Mascara, out of the L’Oreal Luxe Advent Calendar. It is entirely possible that Armani is going to ruin me for all other mascaras, I kid you not.)

And that little something extra…

While I like the Revlon on its own, the vampy lip I’ve actually been wearing around layers Annabelle Le Gloss in Bitten overtop. The shade is long discontinued, though, and the entire line has fallen by the wayside more recently, so I thought I’d better feature the lip both with and without it.

Though this one’s no longer available, I honestly think that everyone should have a good, shimmer-free red lipgloss in their stash. (Bonus points for blue undertones and medium-full opacity!) I get more wear out of Bitten than I do out of any of my sheer/clear glosses, and it’s probably the one gloss I’d save out of my stash if I had to pick just one. Emphasis on the had to; I’m not just going to pick one and burn the rest for the hell of it.

Wearing Revlon Super Lustrous in Sultry Sable + Annabelle Le Gloss in Bitten

I haven’t found anything quite as brilliant as Bitten, but I’ve corralled a few alternatives, just in case you’re on the hunt for your perfect shimmer-free red lipgloss, too.

• MAC Russian Red Lipglass
  • NYX Mega Shine Lipgloss in Perfect Red and Plush Red
  • Ellis Faas Glazed Lips in L303
  • Becca Ultimate Color Gloss in Hotel California
  • NARS Larger Than Life Lip Gloss in Norma

Wearing Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Sultry Sable only

See what the rest of the Lipstick Bandits picked for their vampy lip!

Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Sultry Sable (646)

• Reply Lipstick Bandits: Vampy Lips | Glitter Geek

[…] theNotice: a beauty blog‎ […]

November 19, 2012 at 10:00 AM
  • Reply Arianne

RAEEEE! I can comment again!

Love your hair and your lips and this lipstick. YES.

P.S. This comment isn't really worth the wait, is it? :P
    P.P.S. Get Disqus. ;)
    My recent post Lipstick Bandits: Vampy Lips

November 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM
  • Reply mostlysunnybunny

This one is LOVELY on you! I totally understand the skin tone thing as well. My undertone is quite warm, and it's pretty frustrating to see a bright blue-based red on someone else turns not so bright and not so blue-based on myself!

I'm totally going to take a closer look at the Becca gloss. I don't have one that's not shimmery yet ;)
    My recent post You are Stardust: Guerlain Liu Perfumed Shimmer Powder

November 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM
  • Reply claire

I think I have overlooked this brand, so many nice posts on their lipsticks. I only have two lipbutters but the regular line seems to have amazing vamps. Those pictures are beautiful!
    My recent post Addiction Lipstick Confiture

November 19, 2012 at 10:29 AM

So comprehensive :P You look stunning, Rae, and you should wear darker colors MORE OFTEN. And I hope you don't review that Armani mascara because I don't know a $30+ mascaraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. That is all.
    My recent post Go Forth, Be Vamp-eh!

November 19, 2012 at 10:48 AM
  • Reply xiao

I had to let it out on Monika's page but I'll say it again. I smashed my head into the keyboard when I saw your face. Couldn't keep it together <3
    My recent post Lipstick Bandits: Vamp

November 19, 2012 at 11:42 AM
  • Reply Natalie

Wow, I LOVE this shade on you…I love your face *w*

♥♥♥

November 19, 2012 at 2:06 PM
  • Reply Fleur

Oh my, that is such a stunning lipstick and you too are looking particularly stunning! Beautiful. I need to try not to add this to my wish list… xo
    My recent post FOTD: Wanting to be Snow White (1)

November 19, 2012 at 2:11 PM
  • Reply Jessica

I hope it's not creepy to say that your lips are just … gah! Lovely selections, as always. I may join Xiao in the head smashing.

♥ Jessica
    My recent post The Lipstick Bandits Get Vampy

November 19, 2012 at 4:08 PM
  • Reply bellachique

I seriously love your lips here! So sexy as hell! And the gloss on top of it makes it even more lush! I love vampy lips, but they are not always that easy to pull off. I find that they require a bit more work or maybe I should keep on looking. And Revlon here is even more expensive, meh!
    My recent post I Love Fall Because..

November 19, 2012 at 6:24 PM
  • Reply Rocaille

Yay for Revlon! They just have the best drugstore lip products out there. And double yay for shimmery eyes!!! You look very lush, Rae :)
    My recent post Lipstick Bandit Vamps: Dark Cherries

November 19, 2012 at 7:17 PM
  • Reply Makeup Morsels

Ahh, I now totally understand the head-smashing Xiao mentioned on Monika's post. You are gorgeous. End of story.

But really! Everything about this look…cheekbones, hair, eye makeup, LIPS. Guhh. So perfect.
    My recent post Another Chapter in the Lipstick Bandit Adventures | Things Get Vampy

November 19, 2012 at 10:43 PM
  • Reply Beauty Reflections

Heyyy my comment got eaten up somewhere!
    SO GORGEOUS on you.
    My recent post Lipstick Bandits Vamp It Up

November 19, 2012 at 11:41 PM
  • Reply dani@callitbeauty

Sooo pretty!

I’ve been wanting to wear glitter on the eyes lately and I think red lips is such a perfect pairing for it. <3

November 20, 2012 at 12:03 AM
  • Reply Carina Santos

Love this color a lot (we get about the same markup for Revlon in Manila, too), and you have the prettiest-shaped lips!

November 20, 2012 at 6:16 AM
  • Reply eight

Oh my gosh, this is so beautiful.

And I suddenly need a shimmer-free red gloss.
    My recent post Topbox November 2012 Review, Photos

November 20, 2012 at 6:40 PM
  • Reply Angela

Ahhh your perfect face, Rae! Everything about this look says FALL and it's super awesome.
    My recent post 17/11/12 Link Love

November 21, 2012 at 10:38 PM
  • Reply Paris B

Rae! Hair! Lips! I love it all… speechless (in a good way) :)
    My recent post Konjac Sponge Company Konjac Sponge Puff: The Konnyaku you put on your face not in your mouth

November 22, 2012 at 1:33 AM
  • Reply Lorraine

I just found your blog and I love it! Just added it to my feed. I recently started a new blog, would love for you to come and take a look. x

November 22, 2012 at 8:49 AM
  • Reply TGIF! Beauty Blog Roll (17.11.2012 - 23.11.2012) - Time4Beauty

[…] размытого, дымчатого вампа в блоге the Notice с помадой Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick «Sultry Sable» 646. Катя Ja-Potamchik осталась довольна нежными румянами Benefit […]

November 23, 2012 at 6:52 AM
  • Reply Jen W

What an amazing colour against your milky skin, and it looks perfect with the Shu glitter eyeshadow!

Unbelievable!
    My recent post Your friendly blogging optometrist: dangers of cosmetic coloured contact lenses

November 25, 2012 at 2:01 AM
  • Reply Adrianna

this looks gorgeous! thanks for sharing! I recently did a post on red dresses, this shade would go perfect with any of them!

November 25, 2012 at 6:31 PM
  • Reply Vampy lips with Tom Ford Bruised Plum: a Lipstick Bandit post. | My Funny Valentine

[…] theNotice: a beauty blog […]

March 20, 2013 at 8:59 PM