Tips for Beauty Bloggers | Don’t forget about colour management!

Did you know that around 35% of computer users browse the internet on Chrome? And in some cases, of that 35%, exactly zero are viewing the same image that you spent so long getting internet-ready: Chrome doesn’t fully colour manage, and there’s no add-on or extension you can download to get it to do so.

Colour profiles

Above image: a Chrome-friendly rendition of YSL’s Spring creme blushers

Below image: what happened the first time I uploaded this image to theNotice!

There’s no perfect fix for this problem, I’m afraid, but it’s a good thing to keep in mind. Colour management lets users see more or less the same colours in an image despite differences in colour profiles, devices, etc., so when a fair few of your readers are seeing something totally different from what you’re seeing —

Well, you might want to double-check your colour settings when you save!

P.S. This is a great page for checking your browser for colour-management!

• Reply Angela

Great post. I didn't know that Chrome doesn't do that. I'll definitely be looking into this the next time I post swatches.

January 25, 2013 at 1:10 AM
  • Reply mostlysunnybunny

Oh wow, thanks for the heads-up, Rae! I use Chrome myself, and now I'm really wondering what everybody else sees… LOL
    My recent post Chanel Emprise Le Vernis Gives Me Mannequin Hands But Better!

January 25, 2013 at 5:01 AM
  • Reply Annick

Woah! Thanks for the tip, that's really a massive difference!
    My recent post Wishlist Wednesday!

January 25, 2013 at 7:31 AM
  • Reply Bellachique

Ok, now this is interesting to know! The difference is huge!
    My recent post Dior Vernis in Ivory and Rouge Garconne

January 25, 2013 at 11:09 AM
  • Reply Arianne

So… the question is… what colour settings do you use when you save? :) Thank you!
    My recent post My Current WANT! List Thanks To A Few Bloggers

January 25, 2013 at 11:39 AM
  • Reply gigi

great tips thank you I am so glad to have found these things out will be very helpful in my blogging!

January 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM
  • Reply Emi at Project Swatch

Thank you for posting this! I use Chrome myself, I should be testing things out in other browsers, I guess! I go to the trouble of using Lightroom & color correcting etc, but I don't save images a specific way – off to do research now!
    My recent post Mid/High End Red Lipstick Swatches & Comparisons

January 25, 2013 at 2:32 PM
  • Reply Icaria

Thank you for this info. I do use Chrome and so I guess I'll be checking out colors with other browsers. I so thought I was all set. :(
    My recent post Dry Winter Skin / Head to Toe Care

January 26, 2013 at 12:17 PM
  • Reply Joyce (bronzerbunny)

Hmmm! i just compared mine with chrome and safari, and they were the same! Interesting, and good to be aware of though!
    My recent post This Week’s Makeup Bag, #4

January 27, 2013 at 8:21 PM
  • Reply Link Love Vol. 3 « Softly Sometimes

[…] Beauty Blogger Tips: Don’t forget about colour management! by Rae of theNotice […]

January 27, 2013 at 9:49 PM
  • Reply jenn

hey! thanks for this. i just started blogging and am still trying to get a handle on it. this post was great!
    My recent post Maybelline Color Whispers Swatches and Review

February 5, 2013 at 4:23 PM
  • Reply lifesentropy

I had no clue that this problem existed. I always wondered why my pictures looked differently from my desktop to the internet. Now I know, thank you so much!!
    My recent post DUPE 13 | Chanel Rouge Coco Lipstick in Mademoiselle