YSL Rouge Pur Couture in 01 Le Rouge | A red lipstick review (with swatches!) to start wrapping up the year

YSL Rouge Pur Couture Lipstick in Le Rouge

The product: Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Pur Couture SPF 15 in 01 Le Rouge

This Rouge Pur Couture–a miniature in the L’Oreal Luxe Loose Button Advent Calendar earlier this year–is my first YSL lipstick… but I have a feeling it won’t be my last. Fantastically “holiday,” Le Rouge is such a stellar shade for a really bold, attention-grabbing red, and the formula is absolutely divine.

Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Pur Couture lipstick

YSL Rouge Pur Couture - Le Rouge 01

The wear: With a physical SPF of 15, the Rouge Pur Couture formula wears smoothly and comfortably, even on my stubborn lips. I fidget constantly (rubbing my lips together, pursing them, etc.) but it does absolutely nothing to the gorgeously even, opaque colour distribution  even after some time, the colour doesn’t bleed, slide around, or settle into fine lines or dry flakes.

These lipsticks do have a very distinct fragrance, but honestly, it’s pretty alright. I tend to hate fragranced lip products, but the floral, ever-so-slightly-fruity scent is a far cry from the waxy, fig-based odours that saturate the lipstick market.

Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Pur Couture Lipstick swatch - Le Rouge

YSL Rouge Pur Couture Le Rouge lipstick swatch

YSL Rouge Pur Couture Lipstick swatches – 01 Le Rouge

The shade and finish: The Rouge Pur Couture lipsticks are described as having a luminous satin texture, which is a fairly apt description. The finish is just this side of matte, shimmer-free (at least in Le Rouge) and very plush without being glossy.

When worn sparingly, Le Rouge reads as a matte pink-red stain; again, with great colour distribution and wear. When worn full-on, though, the finish is more supple and moisturizing — think satin, not gloss. Le Rouge is very well-pigmented, with full colour in just one swipe, and a good red/blue balance.

YSL Rouge Pur Couture Lipstick LOTD

Wearing Le Rouge

YSL describes the shade a “blood red,” but I like to think of it as an “optimistic red.” It’s definitely wearable on both warm and cool complexions, as well as olive colouring and against both fair and dark skintones.

Le Rouge does have a respectable bit of blue in it, but it has this great vividness that feels a little  too strawberry to be a cool colour. It really does pull both ways depending on your colouring, so don’t shy away from it just because it wears well on a skintone other than yours!

(See it on Pink Sith, Tacky Blue Eyeshadow, and calivintage.)

YSL Le Rouge - Rouge Pur Couture 01

The verdict?

At $32 USD/$38 CAD for a full-sized tube, the Rouge Pur Couture lipsticks are certainly a luxury — but such a worthwhile splurge. Le Rouge is a stunning rendition of the textbook “holiday” red, and for the gorgeous wear, I’m putting some serious thought into finding a more natural shade in the line.

Find it at Sephora & Nordstrom online. I know this one will be too attention-grabbing of a shade for most of you (I’m a little self-conscious of it right now, and I’m alone at my laptop!), but formula is honestly in my top five three for wearability and colour distribution. You need this!

YSL Le Rouge - Rouge Pur Couture Lipstick

Wearing YSL Rouge Pur Couture Lipstick in 01 Le Rouge – tungesten lighting + flash.

The ingredients

Octyldodecanol, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Stearyl/PPG-3 Myristyl Ether Dimer Dilinoleate, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Polyethylene, Microcrystalline Wax, Polybutene, Propylene Glycol Dibenzoate, Hydrogenated Coco-Glycerides, Candelilla Wax, Titanium Dioxide, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Fragrance, Caprylyl Glycol, Water, Ammonium Glycyrrhizate, Mannitol , Polyurethane-15, Acacia Senegal Gum, Glyceryl Stearate, Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Butylene Glycol, Rosemary Extract , Yeast Extract , Carrot Root Extract, Retinyl Palmitate, Citric Acid.

[+/- May Contain: CI 77891 MICA CI 15850 CI 19140 CI 77491 CI 73360 ]

YSL Rouge Pur Couture lipstick mini

• Reply Camille

in the words of the famous cat meme, I need dis. It is beautiful, especially on you! I've never tried YSL Pur Couture for myself, but bought one for my mum this Christmas after an Instagram poll voted YSL Pur Couture in Rouge Saadi a clear winner. She adores it, so I'll probably need this one for myself :)
    My recent post Killer Colours nail polish – A review of two halves!

December 30, 2012 at 6:46 AM
  • Reply Icaria

This color is smashing & does look fantastik on you! I used to wear those, not sure I would be brave enough now but knowing more about the formula, I may consider a more toned down version. :)
    My recent post Favorite posts of 2012

December 30, 2012 at 7:08 AM
  • Reply Arianne

WHOA. Bam! RED! Gorgeous on your lips and skin tone, Rae!

I love the YSL Rouge Pur Couture formula. My favourite is Le Fuchsia.
    My recent post Frame The Face: MAC The Stylish Brow Collection Reviews, Photos, Swatches

December 30, 2012 at 7:27 AM
  • Reply mostlysunnybunny

Whoaaa another great red! I really haven't paid too much attention to YSL, but I'm digging this one!
    My recent post Femme Boulevard December: Ushering New Year 2013 With Style

December 30, 2012 at 7:40 AM
  • Reply toyarosie

Sounds good to me, Rae! I love me a bold red lip so bring it on! I've actually had this shade on my wishlist for a while, and I haven't tried any YSL lipsticks yet either, so it seems I soon need to change that! I think it looks wonderful on you, with your dark, flowing hair and minimal other makeup – lovely, doll! :)
    My recent post A Silver Polish I Actually Like – Revlon’s Sterling

December 30, 2012 at 8:11 AM

I always love reds on you, my dear. The warmer ones do add a bit of something, as well, although of course I love blue-reds on you as well.
    My recent post Ushering in the New Year with Femme Boulevard

December 30, 2012 at 11:08 AM
  • Reply Liz

I have this, too, and love it. Looks gorgeous on you, Rae-whale! :D

December 30, 2012 at 11:51 AM
  • Reply eight

AHHH THIS IS SO GORGEOUS
    My recent post Merry Christmas!

December 30, 2012 at 6:02 PM
  • Reply TGIF! Beauty Blog Roll (29.12.2012 - 04.01.2013) - Time4Beauty

[…] — помада, которую сейчас мало вспоминают, а зря — YSL Rouge Pur Couture 01 Le Rouge. И еще один красный от Эльвиры Elia-Chaba в виде помады Rouge […]

January 4, 2013 at 3:40 PM
  • Reply BBLL | January 19-20 | Adorable On Your Vanity

[…] lip is never really “out of season”. Check out the super-comfortable, gorgeously opaque YSL Rouge Pur Couture in Le Rouge at […]

January 19, 2013 at 6:08 AM
  • Reply Beauty Blog Link Love: 18/01/13 | My Funny Valentine

[…] is never really “out of season”. Check out the super-comfortable, gorgeously opaque YSL Rouge Pur Couture in Le Rouge at […]

January 20, 2013 at 8:49 PM
  • Reply Beauty Blog Link Love | Krasey Beauty

January 21, 2013 at 1:20 PM
  • Reply Beauty Blog Link Love for Jan. 20, 2013 | Phyrra | Beauty for the Bold

January 22, 2013 at 10:50 PM
  • Reply Beauty Blog Link Love | Audrey Dao

January 25, 2013 at 5:56 AM
  • Reply Bharti

wow, very beautifully you reviewed this lipstick! And this color reminds me of Ruby Woo by Mac but through your pic lip swatch it looks not that drying and better formula. Added to my wishlist of lipsticks to try now :D

PS: Follow you now! Love from India :D
    My recent post ♥MAC – Dare You♥

August 23, 2013 at 6:31 AM
  • Reply Charlene

Rae, i love your blog! I'm struggling between bite pomegranate and this one! Which one do u recommend?

April 17, 2014 at 9:21 AM