Punk Rock + Sepia Tones | A Marc Jacobs/NARS-inspired makeup look… twelve months late

!Sepia toned makeup, eyeshadow tutorial

Do you know how long it’s been since I’ve done a full makeup look and posted it? Months. Seasons. The last two were in April and May of last year.

Despite what the wait may have led you to believe, here’s a makeup look that I actually really loved. I shot it a year ago to the day, so I barely remember applying it, but I do remember being inordinately fond of the entire thing. It’s loosely inspired by the makeup created by François Nars for the Fall 2013 Marc Jacobs show — messy, smokey, a little punk rock.

I hope you like it as much as I do.

!Marc Jacobs, NARS Sepia toned punk rock makeup

I literally don’t remember putting this eye makeup on, but looking back, I do really love the way it turned out — smoked-out black with eye open, and a flash of a toned-down burnt orange with eyes shut. The “sepia” shade is Clinique Fuller Fudge (a Chubby Stick for Eyes), and the black is the soft charcoal-black from Clarins’ Graphites Eye Quartet.

The other three products listed at the bottom of the page are just your standard window dressing: MAC Blanc Type, still my go-to matte highlight, and Annabelle Licoriche softly through and along the upper lashline (and, okay, with the dregs then pulled through my brows — multi-tasking, man). On my lashes is Armani’s Eyes to Kill mascara, which I’m still reaching for whenever I want a super-pretty, voluminous, clump-free lash with no fuss.

!Marc Jacobs eye tutorial !Soft punk makeup look

For the base, I used theBalm timeBalm Concealer in Lighter Than Light and Marcelle Face Powder in Translucent — always, always, with these two. I really should try something new, but it’s hard, you know? Especially when you feel like the only cool-toned, too-pale, vaguely-olive person out there who can’t come within arm’s reach of anything containing ‘cones. I hear Marcelle’s Monochromatic Pressed Powder is ‘cone-free, so maybe that’ll be my next powder to try — though I did really want to try something glowy.

On the cheeks, I’m wearing MAC Harmony (much warmer than my usual fare), and on my lips is Clinique Curviest Caramel — a Chubby Stick (Intense), of course.

!MJ NYFW F13 look

Get the look

EYES

Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill Mascara ($30 USD)

MAC Matte2 Eye Shadow in Blanc Type ($15 USD)

Annabelle Smoothie Eyeshadow Pencil in Licoriche ($8.95 CAD)

Clarins Eye Quartet Mineral Palette in 06 Graphites ($42 USD)

Clinique Chubby Stick Shadow Tint for Eyes in 03 Fuller Fudge ($17 USD)

LIPS & CHEEKS

MAC Powder Blush in Harmony ($21 USD)

Clinique Chubby Stick Intense in 01 Curviest Caramel ($16 USD)

BASE

theBalm timeBalm in Lighter Than Light ($18 USD)

Marcelle Face Powder in Translucent ($14.50 CAD)

!Marc Jacobs F13 makeup look

I recently realized that I never show you guys my forehead. Here is proof that I have one.

It is big and awkward, like all foreheads on film.

• Reply Kristi

This is a gorgeous look on you! I definitely understand why you like it!

February 25, 2014 at 6:39 AM
  • Reply fieran

This look is gorgeous. A year ago or not, it's definitely one that you can wear any time and it suits you to a T :)

February 25, 2014 at 6:48 AM
  • Reply Alison M

Brava! I adored many of the NARS Fall 2014 looks also. Your take on the MJ show is spectacular!
    My recent post Inspired by New York Fashion Week for Autumn/Winter 2014

February 25, 2014 at 7:50 AM
  • Reply morerebe

I love these kind of smokey but effortless eyes with next-to-nothing else on the face. You look amazing! x

February 25, 2014 at 8:05 AM
  • Reply Liz

Love this look and your forehead. Missed seeing your beautiful face! <3
    My recent post Revlon makes this blush fiend blush for real: Cream Blush in 300 Coral Reef

February 25, 2014 at 9:11 AM
  • Reply Mariella

awww <3
    My recent post Chanel Cream Blushers in Chamade and Intonation

February 25, 2014 at 12:23 PM
  • Reply Lily @ChloeAsh

Aaw, missed your looks. Beautiful as always, Rae :-)

My recent post Review: Yadah Oh My Sunblock SPF35 PA++

February 25, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Gorgeous gorgeous, Rae-whale! Love that eye look.
    My recent post MAC Blue Brown Pigment: All the Sparkles

February 25, 2014 at 6:39 PM
  • Reply Kiss & Make-up

You should post looks more often, you look stunning and the look is absolutely gorgeous!
    My recent post Make-up look | A 20’s inspired flapper look with Estée Lauder

February 26, 2014 at 3:05 AM
  • Reply Alison

Ugh, I LOVE this. Its elegant, and undone. It looks lived in. And it has the word "sepia" in the title.

/gone

…By the way, looking back on your looks from around mid last year – isn't it fun that you had a blue period? XD

February 26, 2014 at 4:07 AM
  • Reply Miss Louise

Ahh! Love it! :) This look really suits you!
    My recent post Lacôme Rouge in Love Lipstick: Pêche Passion (From the 2014 Spring Ballerina Collection)

February 26, 2014 at 3:06 PM
  • Reply toyarosie

Haha your forehead is NOT big, Rae! LOL

LOVING this look, a LOT. Totally edgy and sultry – I always find these looks just seem plain messy on me, but you're pulling it off perfectly!
    My recent post RapidLash Eyelash &amp; Eyebrow Enhancing Serum

February 26, 2014 at 6:17 PM
  • Reply Mich T

So pretty! I am interested in learning how you do your hair, too! Hope you can do that one soon. :)

February 27, 2014 at 2:32 AM
  • Reply Yukino

I love this look! It's simultaneously soft enough for day time, but definitely has an edge that's good for an evening look as well.
    My recent post Links 02.14.

February 28, 2014 at 7:13 AM
  • Reply Beauty Blog Link Love 01.03.2014 | Fleurissante

[…] It’s never too late to post a makeup look you love — even if an entire year has gone by. Over at theNotice, Rae is (still!) loving this Nars-inspired punk rock & sepia makeup look. […]

March 1, 2014 at 3:38 AM
  • Reply Beauty Blog Link Love: 01/03/14 | My Funny Valentine

March 1, 2014 at 11:38 PM
  • Reply Beauty Blog Link Love 03.01.2014 - Beauty Reflections

March 1, 2014 at 11:49 PM
  • Reply Carina Santos

Wow, I'm super in love with this! :) I shall try to recreate!
    My recent post London/Bahrain Swap with Laala of Intermittent Makeup

March 2, 2014 at 1:12 AM
  • Reply Lip Wardrobes, Pixie Cuts and More | Phyrra | Beauty for the Bold

March 2, 2014 at 6:01 AM
  • Reply More links to love with Beauty Blog Link Love

March 2, 2014 at 2:01 PM
  • Reply Beauty Blog Link Love 3.2.14 | Makeup Morsels

March 2, 2014 at 11:49 PM
  • Reply Beauty Blog Link Love

March 4, 2014 at 2:02 AM
  • Reply Stephanie

this is absolutely stunning! it also looks simple enough for me to recreate, although I think the effect will be much more subtle on my darker skin!
    My recent post A Desperate Peachy-Pink Call for Spring

March 12, 2014 at 10:51 PM
  • Reply Leigh Ph

Girl you are so gorgeous! Love the way you applied shadow and lipstick. Trust me when I said this bc this is the first time I ever comment on any post.

May 31, 2015 at 10:52 PM