Spring pastels, with a smokey twist | YSL Arty Stone Spring 2013 Look

YSL Arty Stone makeup look Spring pastels with a twist

To start off The Week of Awesome: a “moody pastels” makeup look with the YSL Arty Stone (Spring 2013) collection.

This was initially designed to be a basic Spring tutorial for She Said Beauty, but after pulling out all of the products I wanted to use, I realized that if I just grabbed one or two more YSL products… it would be all YSL.

So, I mean, I had to go for it (of course)!

Getting the Eyes: Y Facettes Palette

Eye tutorial - spring pastels with a twist

The eyes, for all you might expect otherwise, are actually pretty easy. Prime, then start off with YSL Waterproof Eye Pencil in 01 Black Ink and smudge it up from your waterline. Apply the smokey violet from the gorgeous Y Facettes Palette through the lid, then foil the dark blue into the outer corner and blend.

Pat the sheer pink into the inner corner, add the green to the lower lashline (the pointed rubber applicator is perfect for this!), and finish with a flick of Black Ink and YSL Shocking Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils.

(For the record, hate Shocking. A lot. It smells amazing, but always tries to leave me with five clumpy eyelash-sticks poking aggressively from my eyes!)

Read the full tutorial here on SSB.

Spring makeup tutorial - smokey

As I mentioned on the Y Facettes review, I copied this look onto my sister last week. And ,after she got over being horrified by her first glance at the palette (the pinks! the greens! the blues!), she loved the way it looked on her lids, too.

I swear, this palette works magic when translated onto the eyes!

Moody pastels - YSL Spring makeup look

hello, enormous photo of my face. (sorry.)

Completing the Look

To pull everything together, I grabbed YSL Crème de Blush in No. 7 Rose Quartz and YSL Rouge Pur Couture Vernis À Lèvres (YSL Glossy Stain) in No. 27 Pêche Cerra-Colla, both new permanent shades with Arty Stone.

I’m very pleased with the girly flush of Rose Quartz, as you know, and don’t love Pêche Cerra-Colla any less! I wasn’t expecting to love such an orangey shade, but it’s one of the sheerer Glossy Stains, and I think it works — especially when the rest of the look is so cool-toned. Something a little unexpected and grounding, you know?

A different Spring pastel

A [hair] outtake, to give you a little break…

A surprising outtake

And two last up-close-and-personal shots

…just in case you wanted a better look. (Are you sick of my face yet? Are you? Because I totally am.)

I feel like doing this look made its depth and versatility of Y Facettes so obvious, and I would hate for someone to judge it based on its in-pan vibe. Because, for once, there’s so much more to it than that.

So, please excuse the excessive amounts of my face that you’re getting, and do give the look a try! (I tried to talk my sister into letting me post photos of this look on her, too, but no dice; you’ll just have to make do with this post and my awkward lumps of text.)

A different Spring pastel look close up

A different Spring pastel look close up (2)

Products Used / Shop the Look

Y Facettes Eye Collector Palette ($55 USD/$74 CAD).

↳ For whatever reason, you can’t get Y Facettes (Pure Chromatics No. 14) on Nordstrom or Sephora, but feel free to check out the other Pure Chromatics palettes here and here.

Crème de Blush in No. 7 Rose Quartz ($34 USD/$52 CAD)

Rouge Pur Couture Vernis À Lèvres in No. 27 Pêche Cerra-Colla ($34 USD/$36 CAD)

Shocking Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils in No. 01 Pure Black ($30 USD/$36 CAD)

Waterproof Eye Pencil in No. 01 Black Ink ($30 USD/$30 CAD)

• Reply mostlysunnybunny

If I HAD to wear pastels this is probably the best way to do it too! I'm not naturally drawn to the combination of colors, but you totally made it work! Can't wait to experience the ultimate awesomeness this week!

February 18, 2013 at 11:49 AM
  • Reply mostlysunnybunny

February 18, 2013 at 11:49 AM
  • Reply bellachique

Ah Rae, it's amazing! I'm totally sold onto this palette and I can see what you mean with the depth and versatality of this palette. I swatched the new glossy stains today too and it seems a bit more sheer idd! Totally forgot to look at the blushes tho, doh! It's an amazing soft look that you created, love it!
    My recent post Burberry Lip Velvet in Honey Suckle 305

February 18, 2013 at 11:54 AM
  • Reply bellachique

My recent post Burberry Lip Velvet in Honey Suckle 305

February 18, 2013 at 11:54 AM
  • Reply Marisa Anderson

Luv the whole look. The the eye makeup is my favorite part. It looks really good!

~ Marisa ~
    My recent post Garnier BB Cream

February 18, 2013 at 3:43 PM
  • Reply Marisa Anderson

~ Marisa ~
    My recent post Garnier BB Cream

February 18, 2013 at 3:43 PM
  • Reply Liz

Love! I'm really looking forward to more Rae awesomeness. :D
    My recent post 2013 Empties Part 1

February 18, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I love this, Rae. It's romantic.
    My recent post Experiments of the Week: Feb. 10-16

February 18, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I love this, Rae. It's romantic.
    My recent post Experiments of the Week: Feb. 10-16

February 18, 2013 at 9:40 PM
  • Reply camilla

nice work, i love this perfect for work as well

February 19, 2013 at 12:48 AM
  • Reply Beauty Box

I think the pink shade is seriously pretty and lovely on the lid and the inner corners of your eyes. I like the way you photoshop your photos as well! ;-)
    My recent post Chanel Raffinement Quad Sets My Neutral Heart On Fire + EOTD

February 19, 2013 at 5:20 AM
  • Reply Beauty Box

My recent post Chanel Raffinement Quad Sets My Neutral Heart On Fire + EOTD

February 19, 2013 at 5:20 AM
  • Reply Jarucha

I am surprised about the soft look you created with these bright in the pan colors…its beautiful. Can you please review the Clarins eye palette? I kinda want to take the plunge and buy my first Clarins item but I'm not sure which item I should get….

February 19, 2013 at 12:29 PM
  • Reply Fleur

I LOVE the look you created :) and don't apologise for all the pictures of your face, you're gorgeous and its good to see different shots of the look! x
    My recent post £20 Makeup Challenge

February 19, 2013 at 2:08 PM
  • Reply gigi

love this look simple and pretty! xx.

February 19, 2013 at 4:16 PM
  • Reply gigi

love this look simple and pretty! xx.

February 19, 2013 at 4:16 PM
  • Reply gigi

love this look simple and pretty! xx.

February 19, 2013 at 4:16 PM
  • Reply Kendra

love this look, love your eyes..fabulous job!
    My recent post Flaunt Drops At A Novel Romance

February 19, 2013 at 5:31 PM
  • Reply Jen W

Love the enormous photo of your face!

Also- violet and blue: what an amazing combo.
    My recent post Burberry Lip Velvet Rose Pink 307 and Antique Pink 303: Review, Swatches, FOTD

February 19, 2013 at 8:17 PM
  • Reply Makeup Morsels

You're GORGEOUS, my dear! And don't be silly, we never get tired of seeing your face (/cheekbones). I can't believe this is the same palette you showed us the other day, it looks so so different on the eyes, and I love it. Can't help but wonder what it would look like in a bright, true-to-pan/swatch-color EOTD though!
    My recent post The Urban Decay Glinda Palette | Review & Swatches

February 19, 2013 at 9:10 PM
  • Reply Laura H.

I wasn't sure how to pull those colours off but I love it ! It's sexy but not too out there. I love it !

February 20, 2013 at 8:51 PM
  • Reply Barbara

Just discovered your blog. You are stunning! And I love the product reviews and instructions. I also hate YSL's "shocking" mascara! Nothing but clumps!! A shame, considering their other mascaras are great.

March 3, 2013 at 2:17 PM
  • Reply toyarosie

This does look SO different from the palette, wow! But super-helpful, because in the palette, yeah…not a fan. Love the warmer toned lip with the cooler-toned lip and cheek, it pulls it together beautifully!
    My recent post Illamasqua Cream Blusher in Crush – The Perfect Transitional Blush!

March 4, 2013 at 8:05 AM