Don’t miss this » Gothic statement lips in red and black

Monday, October 15, 2012

The cool thing about October being a beauty blogger is that you’re totally allowed to throw whatever on your face, whenever you want to. Not so much with the wherever, but two out of three’s not bad. And then, to top it all off, (because everyone else can technically the whatever-whenever thing,) you get to label it as “work” instead of “whimsy and a lack of impulse-control.”

Anyhow. Here’s a step-by-step photo tutorial to on gothic statement lips, aka ”we already did blue and violet ages ago so let’s use red and black and maybe throw some purple in there.” Because everything is better with burgundy and violet. Everything.

Read the full tutorial (albeit with less photos and much less nonsensical rambling personality) here on She Said Beauty.

Start the look with bare lips and contoured, just-flushed cheeks…

Then give yourself an unsightly pinched mouth with lipliner (and, okay, eyeliner).

Fill out the shape in colour, blending as you go –

And top with gloss!

My job is more fun than your job.

(This would be way funnier if my job took up less hours a week and actually paid, but instead it’s like the monster of a class that you’ve decided was a good idea to audit: all the work, all of the readings, and all of the hours, but with none of the rewards.)

(Okay, some of the rewards, but only the ones that that fall under the category of “intrinsically rewarding.” Not the ones that can go on your CV or buy you ice cream.)

This look is much less fun without the lip.

Products used

EYES: Clarins Eye Quartet Mineral Palette in Graphites, which I swear I’m actually starting to get over, despite evidence to the contrary; MAC Matte2 Eye Shadow in Blanc Type, which I am never going to get over; Annabelle Smoothie Eyeshadow Pencil in Licoriche, which I use every day and yet, somehow, do not have an insane and terrifying love for.

LIPS: Marcelle Waterproof Eyeliner in Mulberry and Midnight Black, Marcelle 2 in 1 Retractable Eyeliner in Amethyst, Paula Dorf Lip Pencil in Tapestry.

PLUS: Whatever mascara and clear lipgloss you have on hand! A sheer gloss would totally work, too, but a really pigmented one — not so much.

Paula Dorf Tapestry, Marcelle Amethyst, Mulberry, and Midnight Black.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

28 Responses to “Don’t miss this » Gothic statement lips in red and black”

1. not something i would wear, but it does look amazing! :)
    My recent post Trendsetter

2. messywands, on October 15th, 2012 at 9:46 am said:

It totally could go on your CV, just sayin'
    My recent post That Brown Smokey Eye

3. projectswatch, on October 15th, 2012 at 9:49 am said:

Wow, I love this so much! Must try.
    My recent post Glow In The Dark Nail Polish Comparison & Swatches

4. Anonymous, on October 15th, 2012 at 10:49 am said:

Great job!! :D any suggestions for helping prevent the drying element of using eye pencils on the lips? when i play with eye pencils on the lips, i find it can be extra drying.

5. Musing On Beauty, on October 15th, 2012 at 12:04 pm said:

I LOVE!!!
    My recent post Etat Pur: Active Ingredients and Biomimetic Skincare

6. This is outstanding..I love the play of colors!!

7. glad you think so! :)

8. … I'm getting a degree in science. Sciiiience.

9. Have fun with it, hon! :)

10. Haha, thank you! :D

11. Make-up Compulsivo, on October 15th, 2012 at 1:12 pm said:

Ohhh I so love this :D

12. that I call vampy! :) I think it looks gorgeous on your skintone as well. I agree: whenever, whatever but not wherever :D
    My recent post Guerlain Rose aux Joues Blush Duo 04 Pink Punk

13. perilouslypale, on October 15th, 2012 at 2:46 pm said:

Need those Marcelle liners now! That look is fabulous on you! You must find an occasion to wear it out!
    My recent post My Makeup Wars Halloween Manicure aka Christa's Hilarious Attempt at Nail Art

14. This is such a fun look. I wish I could pull something like that off! My lips are so big

15. This is the most gorgeous thing I have seen in a long time. It is so dark and vampy, but yet a little creepy and I just love that kind of stuff. Looks flawless on you, great job!
    My recent post ORLY Flicker: Perfect October Orange

16. OMG. This looks amazing!
    My recent post LORAC PRO Palette = ❤

17. This is absolutely lovely! And it doesn't even look costumey. <3

18. WOW!!! Understated without the lips but those vampy lips of yours give that kick. Will it sound weird if I said you have full pouty lips juicy enough to eat?

My recent post Behind the Scenes at Chloe.Ash

19. Thank you, Joana!

20. Thank you! I'm glad you like the look :)

21. Thanks, Claire :p

22. I'd never be able to manage wearing this out, Christa! I do far too much lip-pressing and fidgeting to keep something like this intact for long :p

23. The bigger, the better, hon! ;) Just means you have a bit more space to really gradient the look.

24. Thank you so much, Margo :) I'm really glad you liked the look!

25. Thanks, babe!

26. Thank you!

27. Ha! It was weird the first few times, but beauty blogging renders you immune to the strangest things :p Thank you, Lily! I'm really glad you liked the look : )

28. Put it on anyway!