A cool comeback, or just an unfortunate throwback? | Cheating your lip line

Cheating on your lip line: okay, sometimes okay, or not at all okay? Because Sephora (above) seems to think it’s back in, but I’m… well, let’s just say I’m not quite so certain. For a “beauty authority,” Sephora makes a hell of a lot of beauty mistakes in my opinion, and this might just be another one of them.

(They’re particularly poor at making up their Asian models — yes, it’s fantastic to see some diversity in advertising, but at this point I think I’d actually just rather not see any at all. Case in point…)

What do you think? Is it okay to “cheat” your lipline, or should we just accept the fact that it’s now 2012 and move on?

Personally, I think it’s okay to cheat only if you’re reshaping, not redrawing. A little over the line or a little inside it, go for it; completely changing the  size and dimensions of your lips, maybe not so much. While I didn’t actually hate what they’ve done with the red lips on their model, it pains me to think of how terrible that could look in real life!

• Reply Caroline

To me the makeup on the Asian model just looks like a takeoff of the Cavalli Fall '09 and Chanel S/S '11 super-heavy black eyeshadow-as-liner look. I remember it being really popular when it was new, and I believe Chanel used it to launch Mirifique so it got lots of press. And considering Sephora is always about a year behind trend, the time frame would fit :D
    My recent post Sneak Peak at my Etat Pur Goodies!

July 3, 2012 at 6:18 AM
  • Reply mostlysunnybunny

Uh, like you said I think it's OK to play a bit with it if you're really unhappy about how your lips look, but too much of it would be a bit ridiculous in real life (let alone the amount of crazy maintenance work you have to do during the day. Call me lazy but it's just not happening here)!
    My recent post Make Up For Ever Black Tango & Aqua Shadow Swatches

July 3, 2012 at 7:28 AM
  • Reply rokderm

I only use lipliners as lipstick substitutes myself! They last better, and keep the lipstick fresh on top should I decide to add any. Would never consider lip contouring!!!

July 3, 2012 at 7:51 AM
  • Reply @eyeheartit

I also agree that I see Sephora put up a lot of ads with makeup that I've seen in runway shoots…just about a year or so afterward, ha! I don't like the redrawing your lips trend. It's 2012, why can't we just be happy with what we have?
    My recent post Starry Starry…Eye?

July 3, 2012 at 12:48 PM
  • Reply Nunu

Maybe they're just doing a Lipstick Bandit entry with their Asian model!xD
    My recent post Lise Watier Fall 2012 Millésime collection review

July 3, 2012 at 1:16 PM
  • Reply Nina

I'm not sure I see the problem with the lips of any of the models – they all look great to me! I have no real lip line to my upper lip, so I need to use lip stains and pencils. It's not that I have a very thin upper lip, I just have no definition – I think the medical term is "vermillion" line?

July 3, 2012 at 1:33 PM
  • Reply The Beauty Sample

I think for photos, it works a lot better than in real life. I get that many women are unhappy with their lip lines, but if you overdraw it by too much, yes it definitely does look weird
    My recent post The Sample: bareMinerals Ready Eyeshadow 2.0 Duo in The Scenic Route Review & Swatches

July 3, 2012 at 2:42 PM
  • Reply Makeup Morsels

Cheating your lip line is one thing, I feel like this ad is doing something else altogether. I mean, when you cheat your lip line, you're not supposed to be able to see it! It's just a little subtle reshaping here and there, they've completely outlined her lips in that ad. And I'm not really sure why either, they haven't changed the shape at all…

That said, I like the rest of her makeup! :) Gorgeous brows
    My recent post Giveaway #2 | Seventeen Ultimate Guide to Beauty

July 3, 2012 at 3:56 PM
  • Reply Vonnie

That looks really ridiculous to me. I understand a little cheating here and there, but the picture takes it way too far.

My recent post Inspiration: Cute Summer Hair Styles

July 3, 2012 at 5:43 PM
  • Reply Citrine

That drives me nut when I see it (re-shaping brows too, with a straight, dark line on top of actual brow) in beauty blogs, the actual scary part is that they are always coupled with duck face…I guess the person really likes it full?

Anyway, Audrey Hepburn wears her (top) lip like that (Hmmm, she has her brows drawn and thickened like that as well) and that's why I never enjoy looking at the close-up of her face in those photo books, however gorgeous she is.
    My recent post Jordana Lip Out Loud Super Shiny Gloss in BFF

July 3, 2012 at 7:10 PM
  • Reply rites of beauty

That panda look … yikes …
    My recent post Skin Care Review + Kiehl's Event

July 3, 2012 at 10:17 PM
  • Reply callitbeautyblog

I actually really like the makeup look on the Asian model from a high fashion/editorial perspective. But seeing as Sephora doesn't particularly cater to that image, it does seem a bit much.
    My recent post How Perfect Is Chanel's Perfection Lumière?

July 4, 2012 at 2:08 AM
  • Reply Alison M

As long as the drawn line is kept thin and touches the actual line, drawing outside the lines is okay. But anything thicker or farther away and forget it. And what did they do to that poor Asian model? She looks like a masked bandit wannabe. They could've had something with the color palette. What a waste of time and money.

July 4, 2012 at 6:41 AM
  • Reply Beauty Reflections

Yikes. And they're pushing that Kat Von D liquid lipstick. STAY AWAY from that thing it leaks and explodes EVERYWHERE!!
    I still see people using a dark lip liner and a light lipstick like it's 1993 or something. HATE that.
    My recent post You Want To Be Seen Wearing The Anastasia See And Be Seen Kit

July 4, 2012 at 10:04 AM
  • Reply eight

I just think it would be weird if someone went in to kiss her on the lips. That's my justification for not reshaping my lips.
    My recent post Links I Love vol. 1