A burning beauty, in a bad way | Hard Candy Visibly Wet review

The product: Hard Candy Visibly Wet Shockingly Glossy Lip Pencil in Jezebel

The first thing you need to know about Hard Candy’s new pencils is that they’re nothing, nothing like regular lip pencils. Rather, they’re incredibly soft (the softest stick product I’ve ever tried, no joke), intensely pigmented, and ridiculously bold (I’ve heard the finish described as “vinyl,” which I’d say is spot on.)

The second thing you need to know is that I’m not going to be able to properly review them.

The third and final thing you need to know is that I’ve finally, finally found a lip product that I’m allergic to.

unblended / blended in natural light

Obviously, an allergic reaction isn’t a good thing, but it’s certainly an interesting one! I feel as if I’ve finally completed a rite of passage into womanhood, except for the part where it’s makeuphood, and the rite is not nearly as fun as buying your first tube of lipstick.

By the time I had finished taking product swatches for this post, both my swatching wrist and my lips were feeling sort of… peppery. If you’ve ever tried a cinnamon-based lip plumper, you’ll know what I mean!

(If you haven’t, here are a few choice adjectives that might help describe the experience: burning, stinging, tingling, and painful.)

Jezebel is a dark magenta with plenty of hot pink glitter. It goes on thickly but blends out easily, and I’d definitely recommend using a lip brush to blend and/or pairing it with a lip liner – getting a sharp line is virtually impossible with the thick-but-creamy formula.

The ingredients: (no idea what causes the burning!)

Dilsopropyl dimer dilnoleate, polyglyceryl-2 dilosoterate, hydrogenated polyisobutene, polyethylene, octyldodecanol, bis-diglyceryl polyacyladipate-2, microcrystalline wax, c10-30 cholesterol/lanosterol esters, castor seed oil, candelilla wax, silica, disteardimonium hectorite, propylene-carbonate, 1, 2-hexanediol, caprylyl glycol, tocopheryl acetate. +/- pigments.

The verdict?

Honestly, I’d give these ones a passI’m not the only one who’s had problems with the, erm, burning, and there are plenty of other, non-burning products out there!

If you want to give them a go, though, and you’re lucky enough that you can wear these, you can expect a triple-threat lip pencil: glittery, opaque, and glossy. (Or a quadruple-threat; they’re cheap, too.) From the tackiness and the stain left behind, I’d guess that the wear on these is closer to that of a long-wearing lipstick than that of a gloss, and the shade range is fairly impressive.

The reaction (most obvious on the upper lip, around the lip line.)

Sorry about the lighting; I had to flash it because I didn’t have enough light to take the photo otherwise!

More detail on the rest of the makeup look here.

• Reply Jen

It's a very pretty color! Too bad you're allergic. I've yet to be allergic to any product, but my sister is really sensitive to all products. It's terrible!
    My recent post Project 10 Pan

August 4, 2011 at 1:06 AM
  • Reply Paris B

Reaction = bad but that COLOUR! Its gorgeous! But no. any reaction = bad stuff.
    My recent post Out, Damn Spot! Out, I say! Help!

August 4, 2011 at 1:27 AM
  • Reply Jamilla

oh no! It looks great, but the allergic reaction is awful! Hope it calms down soon.
    My recent post FOTD – Bobbi Brown Lip Color Rose 5

August 4, 2011 at 1:48 AM
  • Reply lyn

GORGEOUS GORGEOUS GORGEOUS!!! That magenta lip is so hot :-) I'm starting to be a little braver with deeper lip colours these days.
    My recent post Dior Addict Lipstick in Red Carpet

August 4, 2011 at 1:59 AM
  • Reply jen.

That looks amazing on you, but OW! There's gotta be something weird ingredients-wise if that many people are having the same reaction.

August 4, 2011 at 2:03 AM
  • Reply Sophie

it looks absolutely stunning on you, shame that you're allergic to it! xx

August 4, 2011 at 2:45 AM
  • Reply @jgoreham

Too bad it causes an allergic reaction because it looks amazing on you! You have great lips!

August 4, 2011 at 5:53 AM
  • Reply vijiis

It looks so pretty. Nothing's ever burned me (including things like Lip Venom that are supposed to burn) so I might try this out anyway.
    My recent post Wet N Wild Color Icon Trio: On Cloud Nine

August 4, 2011 at 6:12 AM
  • Reply Krista

I recently wrote a blog post on these as well and had the same reaction. It's such a shame as the intensity and colours are just beautiful. And it's not just one shade it is multiple ones I had the reaction to Candy Apple and my friend who bought Jezebel had the same. *sigh* I really wish Hard Candy would fix this!
    My recent post Morgana Cryptoria Vegan Lipstick~ Review

August 4, 2011 at 7:36 AM
  • Reply rasilla

omggggggggg!
    It is SUCH a gorgeous colour!
    I so want to try it out…but now scared lol
    But tres awesome, and thanks for sticking it out long enough to take pictures for us :)

August 4, 2011 at 7:48 AM
  • Reply Danielle

I had the exact same problem with these! I tried 3 shades and they are all the same. The instant I put it on my lips felt like someone was rubbing molten sandpaper all over them. It was horrible. It was sad because I really liked one of the colors…. :( On the upside, you look stunning!

August 4, 2011 at 8:21 AM
  • Reply callitbeautyblog

that's too bad about the reaction, it's such a gorgeous colour! have you tried the milani lip flash pencils? they're pretty fantabulous and i haven't had a reaction to them. they're quite cheap, too!
    My recent post All About Eyes – It's Electric!

August 4, 2011 at 8:34 AM
  • Reply Silhouettex

Oh noes, that looks and sounds painful D: such a shame too, because this is ridiculously gorgeous.
    My recent post Janelle

August 4, 2011 at 9:00 AM
  • Reply Arianne

Oh man! But it's…. just… so… f'amazing.

Sorry about the lip burning. :( I don't think I can try this because of that. *SAD LIPSTICK ADDICT*
    My recent post Fool-proof Smokey Eye Using Lise Watier Fall 2011 Quatuor Wet & Dry Eyeshadows in Équinoxe.

August 4, 2011 at 9:50 AM

That is one smoking hot color! Sorry about the allergy :( I'll prolly avoid this one, then…I tend to have a sensitivity to a lot of lip products. Once, in high school, I used a gloss from Merle Norman…didn't notice any burning initially, but by the time I felt it and rubbed it all off, too late. I had blistered, disgusting lips for quite some time. Yuck! (sorry for the image :P) So now I'm especially wary; glosses seem to be the big culprit; most balms/lipsticks are okay.
    My recent post The Thursday Post

August 4, 2011 at 10:26 AM
  • Reply Nina

Oh no, I'm sorry for the allergy :( I totally know how it feels like and hope it goes away soon. By the way, if the burning keeps going on, an icepack can come in handy, it's my tried and true way to calm it down a little. But the color is gorgeous on you, you should always wear a lippie of that color!

August 4, 2011 at 11:37 AM
  • Reply Beauty Reflections

Nope, just nope. Not even gonna go there then. Any type of tingling on my lips can trigger a cold sore. Thanks so much for the heads up!:S
    My recent post 100% Pure Organic Coffee Bean Caffeine Eye Cream

August 4, 2011 at 12:04 PM
  • Reply eight

That's too bad because the colour is GORGEOUS.
    My recent post Yes, this will be happening

August 4, 2011 at 1:39 PM
  • Reply Rocaille

Oh, that's such a pity, because this shade looks just amazing! Unfortunately, I don't have a Walmart anywhere near me…. :(
    My recent post Review: CUICU Eyeshadow Palette

August 4, 2011 at 6:03 PM
  • Reply BooBooNinja

Yes, that colour is beautiful on you.
    I hope it wasn't because of the burning. :(
    Where do you find Hard Candy products in Canada?
    I may not indulge…especially with your reaction. I don't want to risk it.

August 4, 2011 at 6:29 PM
  • Reply Eden-Avalon

Reds and purples tend to have the most allergy inducing products – mostly crushed beetles and stuff like that. It's a shame 'cause you pull this off fabulously.
    My recent post MAC Blot Powder in Dark – Review

August 4, 2011 at 8:59 PM
  • Reply Kate & Zena

OWIE. At least, we're in the same boat. I have a icky rash on my foot from some weed at the lake my dad was kayaking at. Just remember: we musn't scratch, no matter how tempting! (We REALLY musn't scratch!"

August 4, 2011 at 11:07 PM
  • Reply makeupmorsels

Yikes about the allergy! But the product looks really stunning on you, is there any lip color you can't pull off??

The only time I've ever had a reaction to a product was the first time I used a lash growth serum. It was an absolute nightmare, had to use steroid drops for almost a month.
    My recent post Ellis Faas’ Sizzling Summer Set

August 4, 2011 at 11:14 PM
  • Reply Alishia

I wonder if this is a 'deep colors exclusive' type thing. Because I bought the lightest shade, that barely gives me any color and just some gloss, and it doesn't sting at all. I can hardly remember I even put it on.
    My recent post Pokemon Unova Badges

August 9, 2011 at 2:54 PM
  • Reply Lipgloss & Spandex

OMG, that sucks! The color is so pretty on you, but OUCH, not worth it :(
    My recent post Product review: Revitalash Eyelash Conditioner

August 13, 2011 at 11:58 AM
  • Reply Tina Bowling

Wow, what a reaction! I haven't had any allergic reactions to anything yet either…What a shame, this product looks incredible on you!! I need to go check this out for myself, wish me luck :)

August 14, 2011 at 12:52 PM
  • Reply Misato-san

too bad you are allergic because the colour itself looks GORGEOUS on you!
    My recent post Estate significa blu-verde XD (con impressioni sui crushed metal pigments MAC)

August 15, 2011 at 4:38 AM
  • Reply ManicuredSlayer

Ouch! My son has food allergies, and I have medication allergies so I sympathize! I would strongly advise calling the company and finding out exactly what is in the ingredients–every last detail (screw trade secrets) and then talk to your doctor about allergy testing.

This time, it was just swelling, burning lips–next time could be a full-blown medical emergency. Keep some benadryl on hand just in case. I don't mean to alarm you, but having to carry an epipen wherever my son goes really changes how you look at reactions.

But what a gorgeous product! I hope you feel better, and you get some answers. Talk about suffering for your art!
    *hugs*

August 19, 2011 at 11:31 PM
  • Reply jenny

Bit slow of me to respond, but owch! I have allergic reactions to toothpaste and swollen lips are really 'peppery' as you described! This thing would kill me I swear; I'm allergic to certain red/pink colourings ha x

October 6, 2011 at 11:54 AM
  • Reply kelsey

tocopheryl acetate may be the culprit

July 9, 2014 at 3:15 PM