Clarins 4 Colour Eye Palette in Graphites | Ramblings, review and swatches

The product: Clarins 4 Colour Eye Palette in Graphites

*note: you may also hear these referred to as the mineral eye quartets, the eye quartet mineral palettes, or the ombre minérale 4 couleurs – there are a lot of words on the packaging! :P

What Clarins has to say about them:

Superb monochrome colour harmonies, with shades and textures perfect for creating any look you desire. Highly concentrated in mineral pigments, these eye shadows light up all eyes. Their wet and dry texture is extremely soft on application. Easy to blend and shade, their colours are both subtle and even. Harmonies of satin and iridescent shades offer a variety of effects. For a superb, long-lasting make-up result.

When I saw Graphites for the first time, it registered as something that I might like, but not love. I probably would have picked out something more like Rosewood at the counter, a quad with plummy pinks and neutrals. But – now I think I understand why this is the quad that ended up in my mailbox, rather than one of the other five.

The shades: Graphites doesn’t look like much in the pan: a pretty, silvery shimmer, a black, a grey, and a nude. And alright, so if you really want to simplify things, I suppose that’s true. But this palette is seriously breathtaking, and I can’t think of a single skintone it wouldn’t work on!

What these photos did a fairly poor job of capturing (sorry) is that the sheer, nude highlighter has an unexpectedly lovely pink duochrome – subtle, but absolutely breathtaking under the brow or in the inner corner. The silver shade is essentially just shimmer in a translucent base, and it’s perfect for playing with textures. What really impressed me about the silver is that yes, there’s a bit of fallout when you apply, but it stayed on my lid for the rest of the wear, unlike a lot of shimmery products I’ve tried out.

Clarins Graphites applied with a damp brush on unprimed skin. Indirect sunlight, no flash.

The black is your basic matte, but it’s gorgeously smooth. It’s the perfect choice to blend into your outer V for added depth, because not only does it blend just right, it’s also fairly hard in the pan – really buttery blacks always deposit too much colour (not to mention fallout), but this one’s just right. And, finally, that gorgeous charcoal shade. I don’t even think I have to describe this one for you! The texture’s spot-on, it blends like a dream, and it’s deliciously intense, even when swatched dry on unprimed skin.

Clarins Graphites swatched dry (left) and wet (right) on unprimed skin. Indirect sunlight, no flash.

The verdict?

Yes, yes, yes. If you’re looking for an eye palette with shades that’ll do a great job complimenting other shadows or create a seriously sexy smokey eye all on their own, this is the one. The shades wear well both wet and dry, they blend absolutely gorgeously, and the textures all work incredibly well together.

I’ve got a look coming up using just this quad, but in the meantime, you can see it featured here. (Black and highlighter shades both used dry – the black to create the smokey eye; the highlighter to blend out the edges.)

Ingredients for the Graphites Wet & Dry Eye Quartet Mineral Palette

• Reply jamilla

Very pretty – I'd like to see you wearing this…I think the colours are just a bit too delicate for my skin tone….

August 11, 2011 at 1:32 PM
  • Reply Appu

Love it! The packaging is super classy as well :)
    My recent post Bath and Body Works "Into The Wild"

August 11, 2011 at 1:33 PM
  • Reply Rocaille

I wouldn't have picked this shade combination either, but the colors do look very pretty! Plus the packaging is just sooo chic…
    My recent post Rocaille of the Day: The Perfect Summer Dress

August 11, 2011 at 1:36 PM
  • Reply Beauty Reflections

Time to walk by the Clarins counter! This is a great little palette!
    My recent post Chanel Illusion D'Ombre Mirifique -You NEED it

August 11, 2011 at 2:21 PM
  • Reply Vesna

Very pretty! I don't know why I always skip Clarins when browsing beauty counters :)

My recent post Red Lips, Green Eye Liner

August 11, 2011 at 3:17 PM
  • Reply Annie

The gray looks really pretty! And the palette has beautiful packaging, as mentioned by others ;)
    My recent post Blog saaaaale peeps!

August 11, 2011 at 4:01 PM
  • Reply dani@callitbeauty

ooh, can't wait to see how you use this for a look! =)
    My recent post Summer Skincare

August 11, 2011 at 4:51 PM
  • Reply vijiis

I adore how sleek everything looks. =D
    My recent post Cool As A Cucumber

August 11, 2011 at 5:21 PM
  • Reply Paris B

Oh Rae!!! I love how these look darnnit! I will have to check if we get them. We get some stuff and not others which is really disappointing – usually we don't get the pretty ones :P
    My recent post Hada Labo BB Moist Emulsion and BB Moist Cream in Natural Beige : A BB Cream I Could Love but…

August 11, 2011 at 8:20 PM
  • Reply Pink Sith

This Is Stunning! Rae, you have piqued my interest in Clarins e/s again. I have an old quad called So Chic and it's wonderful. It's nice to hear the line still has some good quality. I'm going to put this on my list of things to buy. WONDERFUL photographs as well! Thanks for the review!
    My recent post a-england Nail Polish in Tristam

August 12, 2011 at 6:20 AM

It's pretty! I saw these on a website, but they didn't seem very standout…but now I shall have to rethink this stance :P
    My recent post EOTD: Soft & Wearable Green

August 12, 2011 at 9:51 AM
  • Reply theNotice: a beauty blog » Photo updates & other nonsense

[…] was supposed to be the Clarins Graphites makeup look. Supposed to be, but I didn’t finish working on the images last night because I […]

August 12, 2011 at 5:38 PM
  • Reply Eden-Avalon

The colors are really similar to the NYX Smokey Eye Palette but CLEARLY they are of better quality. It's a very tempting palette for me because I love this kind of blend.
    My recent post Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick Creme in Siren – Review and Swatch

August 12, 2011 at 6:21 PM
  • Reply Silhouettex

*Love* the look of the charcoal!
    My recent post My Perfume Favourites! (Read: Shortest Video Ever)

August 12, 2011 at 7:39 PM
  • Reply kathleen

Everything about this product is beautiful! I'd like to see this on you! :)
    My recent post A marriage proposal?

August 13, 2011 at 8:53 AM
  • Reply theNotice: a beauty blog » Soft, smokey grey eyes | A Clarins Graphites makeup look

[…] promised an eye look using just the Graphites quad (reviewed here and also worn here), so here goes […]

August 15, 2011 at 4:47 PM
  • Reply Vulcan_Butterfly

Oooh, too pretty! What a lovely palette!

August 15, 2011 at 9:12 PM
  • Reply theNotice: a beauty blog » Black Box Week | Annabelle “Licoriche” Smoothie review, photos, swatches

[…] I had used Licoriche to prep for this Clarins makeup look. Because it’s just the base colour, the following shot is quite a mess, but nonetheless […]

August 24, 2011 at 6:02 AM
  • Reply theNotice: a beauty blog » New 28/08/11 | I’m getting rather excited for Fall

[…] The first one is Guerlain’s Écrin 4 Couleurs palette in Les Noirs (and what gorgeous blacks they are), and the second is my beloved Clarins Graphites. […]

August 28, 2011 at 6:02 AM
  • Reply theNotice: a beauty blog » Summery Summary | part two, makeup

[…] Two favourites this post is missing are Clinique’s Lid Smoothies and Clarins’ Graphites quad, but it’s only because I’m easily distracted and lazy. These photos were taken at the […]

August 29, 2011 at 5:47 PM
  • Reply theNotice: a beauty blog » Brace yourself, internet, because Rae has finally solved the Great Beauty Blogger Problem.

[…] are a few photos of a smokey eye done entirely with Clarins Graphites – it’s been months and I’m still in love with the palette, so that has […]

February 2, 2012 at 6:01 AM