You “hair” about it, but you never think it’ll happen to you

Sunday, April 24, 2011

So I got my hair cut yesterday, and I went in expecting… well. Not this.

My stylist and I agreed to cut it about four inches, just below my collar bone, so I really wasn’t expecting to walk out seven inches later with a chin-length shag. Wasn’t expecting to; had to anyways.

Is it the end of the world? Of course not. Do I completely hate how it looks? Only on principle. The cut itself is fine, I suppose (the back looks horrendous, but the front is alright). For me, the problem isn’t the cut itself. The problem is that I went in looking for one thing, and we agreed upon it, and then I walked out with something entirely different.

I’m not going to march in there, guns blazing, because I really don’t see the point – not even the most amazing stylist could make my hair magically regrow (especially when it’s falling out at this rate)! I’m cutting my losses and will simply find a new salon in the future, and I guess I’ll spend the meantime waiting patiently (okay, impatiently) for it to grow out.

Anyhow, here’s today’s question:

What’s your worst hair story?

Hit me up in the comments! Misery loves company, after all, right?

To be totally honest, this isn’t the worst thing that’s ever happened to my hair; it’s just the complaint of the day :P But I hope you find the cut at least tolerable, because it’s going to be infiltrating our FOTDs over the next few months!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

58 Responses to “You “hair” about it, but you never think it’ll happen to you”

1. Gosh you are super adorable with the waved hair, Rae. :) I soooo love your new hair.
    My recent post Glossy Dark Red Lips with FACE atelier and CHANEL

2. I kind of think it looks good on you.. am I weird? I love the look. With the red lips, it's very retro!!

For me, I'm not one of those girls who gets mad over hair unless I can't tie it back in a ponytail after. ARG :P

I do want to cut my hair soon though
    My recent post Overspending Watch out for these triggers!

3. Citrine, on April 24th, 2011 at 7:13 am said:

Don't you just hate it when the stylists do whatever they like and ignore people's request? (They always do that!) The new hair looks great on you/with the red lips though and since it's getting warm your hair will grow back faster than you think.

I am not sure if it was bad but back in frenshman year, I have an uncontrollable to cut my hair super short (like a bowl-shaped hair) and I just couldn't…stop cutting it every month or two. I even got mistaken for a guy (like a dude just took the restroom doorknob from me and entering the lady's room, full of ladies…) for quite a few time. I wasn't really upset but I found it pretty funny what that guy did. Anyway, it finally grew back now and I usually trim my own hair with a sharp shear. ( I don't like how "non-Asian" do our hair down here anyway…might as well just get a proper "Asian cut" by myself…)
    My recent post Maybelline Color Sensational High Shine Lipstick

4. Rosemary, on April 24th, 2011 at 7:27 am said:

Long time lurker reporting for commenting duty!

In about 2005 I had a haircut from someone who had cut my hair for years, I asked for shorter layers than my previous cut, and she gave me layers starting about 2 inches below my part. I paid $120 for a mullet!! Most distressing cut everrr. Never went back, ended up asking a friend who cut her hair (serious hair envy!) and have stuck with that same hairdresser ever since. NO-ONE else is allowed to touch my hair! I live in fear of getting an accidental mullet again :(

5. Roxanne, on April 24th, 2011 at 8:45 am said:

Back in the day (2003, that is XD) I was in grade 7 and I wanted short and spiky in the back, with long bangs. It was cool back then, I swear. So I go in, and the show the stylist a picture. She says "okay" but halfway through the cut she starts talking about Halle Berry hair… I was 13. Halle Berry hair on a 13 year old? Wahh?

So I walked out of there with inch long hair on top of my head, and almost buzzed at the back. I was mortified, and no matter how I styled it, it just looked like someone had taken a rusty chainsaw to my hair :( The good thing was, was since it was so short, it grew really fast. I had Josie's (from Josie and the Pussycats) hair in no time and it looked fantastic once again.

I can't stand when stylists take things into their own hands without your permission. You're lucky though, from what I can see it looks pretty good. Is the second picture your natural curl? Cause it looks gorgeous that way <3

6. Haha, thanks lovely! Glad you like it ^^

7. Oh no, not at all! I don't think it's awful, but I'm just super pissed because a) it's not at ALL what I asked for, and b) I'm the same as you – if I can't tie it in a ponytail, it's a total no-go. (And I definitely, definitely can't.)

*le sigh* :P

8. You know how curly hair is. You ask for one length and you ALWAYS get shorter. I'm really sorry you didn't get what you want. If it's any comfort whatsoever, I think it looks amazing.
    My recent post Linnaeus Cosmetics Review- The Brush Tailed Rock Wallaby Collection

9. Maybe if you had said something you would have gotten $$ back

10. YES! I'm not even sure that was the case, though – I felt like he was really uneasy about the cut as well, which… doesn't exactly foster a lot of confidence. I really am going to have to wait ages for it to grow out, though; I got it cut short because my hair is falling out, so it's unlikely that it'll come back any faster than hoped -.-

I have to say, though: hats off to you! I'd never be able to cut my own hair (been there, tried that, SO not going back) :p It's too damn hard!

11. *waving* Hello, Rosemary! Happy de-lurking day :p

That sounds awful! I feel quite the same about my cut; it's basically just an overpriced shag. Honestly, someone needs to teach bad stylists some self-control! :P

12. LOL, 2003 was actually *ages* ago – despite the fact that it sometimes feels like yesterday!

So sorry to hear about your haircut of horrors .hugs. A bad haircut is hard enough, but when you're in grade seven? Girl, everything is harder when you're in jr. high! :P I'm glad to hear it grew out quickly, though :)

13. Oh! And no, that's not my natural curl (though I would be SO happy if it was :p) My hair's pretty much pin-straight, as it is in the first photo, unfortunately!

14. But… I don't… HAVE curly hair! It's really damn straight! xD

15. I didn't think that your hair was curly, I just phrased everything poorly (ACK! I hate when I do that!)

Does it comfort you at all to know that there are millions of curly haired girls going through the same plight as you EVERY time they get a hair cut? (In fact, most girls with curly hair have to go through the trouble of finding a stylist who'll cut their hair dry–most won't–or have to intentionally overestimate the length they want every time they want anything other than a trim–and most of the time the stylist will still get it wrong). I actually cut my OWN hair, it's so bad. So, if you need anyone to commiserate? Now you know who to call. xP

16. Oh Rae, I think it looks cute – especially in the last picture. The main point is the whole stylist running off with their own ideas, though, and I really do hate that. I've been going to the same stylist for um, three years now? Haha. She knows exactly what I want, and always listens. I actually usually have my hair pretty short (bob length or shorter), because I'm very much about the hassle-free hair. I don't own a blowdryer or a straightener/curling iron, and right now, I don't even have a brush, lol! Just a small comb.

I had some pretty awful cuts as a kid, though, when I wasn't articulate enough to explain what I wanted – or didn't know what I wanted. I'd rather not look at those photos again.
    My recent post Warm Weather No More Blues!

17. Morgan, on April 24th, 2011 at 12:37 pm said:

I have redish brown hair, and it's pretty dark. Two years ago, I went in asking for highlights to brighten it up and make it a little lighter for the summer. Somehow, my hairdresser managed to royally screw it up, because I walked out with PLATINUM blonde hair. Not even kidding. She charged me $100 dollars for it, and I pitched a fit and got my money back. I *hated * it, as I am very fair and blonde hair washes me out, and I hate upkeep, and the roots looked terrible. It took me two years and nearly $500 to get it back to its natural color. It was a disaster. Needless to say, I found a new salon, and now I have a wonderful hairdresser.

18. the last photo is just gorgeous!

i have 2 hair horror stories: first was when i was maybe 11 years old. this stylist (if you could even call him that) hacked my hair off to chin length. no layers, no thinning, just one straight edge. now imagine that cut on someone who has thick, coarse, curly hair. yup… i looked like a mushroom.

the second was a few years ago when i asked for a cut but with just 1 inch taken off the length. well, he cut the 1 inch off but wasn't happy with the edges so he kept trimming and trimming. 3 inches later, i was left with something similar to your cut, which didn't suit me at all. the cut itself was nice, but again, it did nothing for my facial structure and wasn't what i asked. i was kind of traumatized.

i just realized all my bad hair cuts involved men. hmm…
    My recent post Collection Spotlight- Isabel Marant – Spring 2011

19. Ciambella, on April 24th, 2011 at 1:10 pm said:

You could do the flapper look so easily now, Rae! I think it looks really chic on you, especially when you put the wave in it.

My worst haircut? Probably when I was younger and asked my hairdresser to do something new and he gave me a very cool cut (long in front, shorter in the back), and then my mom walked in and demanded that he make it even. Because of the shorter length in the back, and probably also because my hairdresser got nervous with my mom breathing down his neck, I ended up looking like Prince Valiant (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WsjQJ2Oxgwg/TVoVuleH1vI/AAAAAAAAAOc/VqkyHFKZU2I/s320/princevaliant.jpg). I went a day trying to convince myself that it looked okay, and then went to my mom in tears and forced her to take me back to get it fixed. Basically this just meant more shaping, and it was short, but it was so much better than the Prince Valiant-do.

Needless to say, I haven't let my mom dictate my hairstyle since!

20. You are in good company, I have a shag and love it. It's rock and roll babe! ROCK N ROLL m/

21. True. Well.. new stylist! :) In the mean time, I think it looks great on you.

22. Elaine, on April 24th, 2011 at 2:45 pm said:

I had a horrendous haircut 2 years ago. I asked for a chin length super layered haircut, and got a blunt bob that was about 2 inches shorter than my chin. It was god awful. I ended up asking a friend for her hairdresser, and went to her to fix it. She did an amazing job to fix it but I was walking around with the god-awful bob that literally 4-year olds wear. not an attractive look on a 20-year old.

I do really like your hair short and think it looks adorable, but I feel your pain with not getting what you want at all. I've gotten white highlights instead of medium blonde before – people said it looked good but it wasn't what I wanted! Thank goodness I changed hairdressers!

If you want the name of a stylist who is absolutely amazing in the Edmonton area, who charges about $50 for a cut, send me an email. I have recommended over 10 friends to her, and they all love her!

23. worst haircut? Has to be the spiral perm I got in 6th grade. Made worse by the fact that no one (including myself) had any idea my hair was actually naturally curly. TRAUMA.

24. Aww I love how it looks curled! Very cute!
    My recent post Mail of the Week April 18 – 22

25. Shivani, on April 24th, 2011 at 3:40 pm said:

OMG Rae, you look beautiful. I have a similar story to yours. two and a half years ago, I cut my hair something like that, but way shorter and edgier. The day of the cut, I felt so rebellious and felt good about my super short hair, but a month later I started to miss my long hair. Like to the point of crying. I am very against extensions, so that was a no go. I swear I had a hair depression. I grew my hair to a respectable length within a year, but I was so conscious about my hair for the longest of time. I hope you deal with it better. Best wishes. (Only people who have been through it can understand, hugs)
    My recent post What I got from the Sephora sale and other purchases!

26. I think it looks great curled, but I understand your frustration. It sucks not to get what you asked for, especially when you're paying for it!

Can I count most of my teen years as a bad hair experience? I experimented so much with colour, and I'm sure most of the time it looked terrible ;D
    My recent post Whats Coming Up!

27. Haha, I know what you mean! There have definitely been years where I'm just like – okay, let's never look at these photos again (because my hair looks horrendous) :p It's good to hear that you've found a stylist who works with you, though!

28. That sounds terrible, Morgan! *hugs* Good on you for pitching a fit, though; I can't imagine how angry I'd be if someone took me platinum blonde instead of lightly sunned.

29. Kate & Zena, on April 24th, 2011 at 6:57 pm said:

I think it's cute curled.

We won't talk about hair horror stories. I have too many to pick one. I'm currently in the middle of one (my bangs are in desperate, DESPERATE need of trimming and I have zero money to get them trimmed. None. Their clipped to the side and the effect isn't cute….in my head anyway. German foreheads need bangs!)

30. I love how it looks on you and you are beautiful as always!
    I cut my hair myself since I was 14, at least I am mad only at myself if I make any mistakes and it's free :D

31. Linda, on April 24th, 2011 at 8:04 pm said:

Aww Rae it looks cute! No worries it'll grow before you know it!
    My worst hair: I was 13 and asked for Farrah Fawcett, and got Scott Baio. If anyone's old enough to know what that means, then you'll know my horror and embarrassment!

32. Katrine, on April 24th, 2011 at 8:07 pm said:

I have had a couple of bad hair cuts – but mainly bad in the sense yours is. Which is to say, frustrating.
    My hair is very thick, with a sort of wave/slight curl going on – plus frizz. The colour is sort of blondish brown – I seem to be the only one who likes it :P.
    For years I had it to the middle of my back, and only got it cut when it got too heavy to hold in a hairband. This also meant that almost all wave was pulled out by the weight of my hair. Convincing the stylists though? No. Nono. Every time I've tried to explain that, yes – cut it and it will bloody well curl quite a bit – they just stare (crazily!) at that (crazy!) girl in the chair, cut, and then stand there, tugging at hair that's not behaving like planned. Usually not really fitting the cut either, 'cause why would it.
    If that doesn't happen, they decide that that middling-thing between wave and curl is ANNOYING, and HARD to CUT, and so straightening it before hand is a GOOD IDEA. These people usually also think i need a new colour, and happily (bitchily-ly?) tell me so. See above, with the hair band? I really like un-fussy hair. Straightening of a full head of thick hair? Not on my list, thank you ever so.

33. Your hair is gorgeous! :) I understand what you mean, because the sylist and you agreed on one thing. That part sucks. But your haircut is graceful. I love it on you!

34. i like how you style your hair in the last picture. it's quite stylish! but i understand it's a huge disappointment, no matter how good a cut is, if it's not what you're looking for. most stylist like to chop off more than what they ask for so i always ask for less, and i got what i want in the end.

my worst cut would be trying to cut my hair short from waist length hair. i expect somewhere around shoulder length and it was shorter than chin length! i almost cried when i left the salon, and cried for days (i was teenager and could be upset from almost anything).

the last time i had long hair, i had the same style for 6 years! i always ask for a change, long hair can have so many styles, but the stylist always gave me the same cut. it's not bad, but i wanted something different. and i rely on the stylist to give me ideas. how wrong was i with this one. i'm afraid of change because i'm afraid someone new might not be able to cut my hair. when i finally did change, i wish i had changed earlier! i still had the same length, but it was different, and refreshing to look different!
    My recent post soft blaze

35. Maggie, on April 25th, 2011 at 12:18 am said:

Similar thing happened to me!! I had recently had my super-long-high-school-hair cut into a cute shaggy bob, by a student no less. It looked great and I was super happy with it. Well it was time for a trim and I wanted to go back to the same student, but she wasn't available for several weeks so i decided to get my hair cut by a professional at this same institution. Big mistake. I went in expecting a trim, but I walked out with this awful, poorly done "Pob" style on my head. I couldn't even put it in a ponytail even though we had discussed that I wanted to be able to do so. Needless to say I never went back and I grew my hair back into my high school length. It's much safer and more forgiving should I ever get another terrible hair cut.

I feel your pain girl. Just remember, it's not the end of the world. It's only hair. :)

36. aquamarine565, on April 25th, 2011 at 2:08 am said:

i think you look absolutely GORGEOUS. it really suits you! it is a pain, though, not to have got what you wanted, but at least know that it looks beautiful on you :)

37. DaenaCat, on April 26th, 2011 at 1:39 pm said:

I think your hair looks adorable — especially in the 2nd picture. But boy do I understand walking in wanting (and discussing!) one thing and ending up with something totally different and unwanted. It's a real kick in the teeth.

My worst hair story — I naturally have dark ash blonde hair and I wanted a pale icy blonde. I was about 15. So I went in to have it done and after about 3 HOURS, what I had was… white roots and LEMON YELLOW hair. I wept. I put on a hat and had to go to the store and try and buy something to fix it myself. I did. And I've done all my own haircolor ever since.

My 2nd worst story — I had a chin-length blunt bob and wanted a super chic pixie cut. I ended up with short, poofy football-helmet OLD LADY HAIR. And it wasn't just the styling, it was the cut. Horrible! Took forever to grow out enough to get it re-cut.

Finding a great stylist that you can trust to give you want you want is so hard. I'm so glad I finally have 2 where I can say, "Give me this haircut!" and they can/will do that. But if I walk in and say, "I want somethnig different, just do something crazy!" they will do that and it will look great.

38. Haha, while I'll admit that I'm in good company – have you MET me?! I'm way more stepford mom than rock and roll! :P

39. I FEEL LIKE A MUSHROOM! *frantic arm-waving and screaming* :P

Perhaps it's a sign? This stylist was a man, too. I'll just, um, stick to female stylists from now on… (kidding, kidding! Women have ruined my hair in the past, too :p)

40. Oh no!! :( That sucks, sucks, sucks.

Trust me, there's nothing chic about my cut if it's air-dried – ugh! I'm hopelessly low-maintenance (and LAZY) when it comes to my hair :P

41. Oh my god, I would LOVE the recommendation. Will email you in a few! :D

42. Oh no!! That's awful – I had really "poofy" (let's use that term lightly) hair for a day in the fifth grade due to some rather ill-advised braids that my mother insisted on putting in, and quite frankly, I never got over it. I can't imagine having to stick with it for months! :s

43. Aww, I'm glad you like it, Gaby!

44. Oh! I hope I never get to the point of tears! #fear

*hugs back*

45. LOL, I know what you mean! No one looks "normal" for all of their teen years. No one! :P

46. Damn! I'm jealous – been there, tried that, NEVER going back :p I mean, my hair looked totally fine, but it was such a hassle!

47. LOL! I'm guessing you mean Scott Baio back when Farrah hair was in? Because if you went in asking for Farrah and walked out with modern Scott, someone needs to take that stylist's licence away :p

48. Well, *I* think it sounds pretty! Thick, slightly curled, and dark blonde? Sign me up! :P

Honestly, though, I just don't understand why stylists refuse to listen to the client. I know, they've gone to school for it, but we live with our hair EVERY DAY and very much understand how it functions by now! -.-

49. Aww, glad you like it! : )

50. EXACTLY! When you have long hair, there's just so much you can do with it (without changing the length!) Gah, I miss it already >.<

51. Aww, ty! <3

52. Haha, true :P It'll grow back. Perhaps it'll take the rest of the year, but eventually – it'll be back!

*taps fingernails on the desk impatiently* :p

53. Oh my god, those stories sound awful! *hugs hugs hugs* Glad to hear that you've found someone who works with you, though (rather than just *on* you!) :)

54. I think it looks gorgeous on you! But I know what you mean. One time a stylist was dying my hair and the roots wear bright red and didn’t match the rest of my hair. He was going to leave it, but saw I wasn’t happy and put in a few hilights with the brighter red. I left, still unhappy and fixed it at home myself. I never went back.
    My recent post Meow! Annabelle Leopard Bronzer in Jungle Belle is Purr-ty!

55. Vonvon, on April 28th, 2011 at 1:16 pm said:

You look gorgeous with that slightly wavy hair in the 2nd photo!

My recent post A-Blush-A-Day- No 3- MAC Pink Cult Powder Blush – Swatches &amp Review

56. Michelle, on April 29th, 2011 at 11:41 am said:

You do look really cute!

My worst hair story..well, my hair's pretty much the only part of me that I like. Except I have trichollitomania, so I compulsively pull hairs out all the time. It sucks, especially since I"m starting to develop some patches, but I can't help it :(
    I guess the worst part of it was when i had several bald patches at my eyelashes as well. (Not exactly a hairstyle story..but eyelashes are kinda hair all the same?)

57. I believe that your hair looks really pretty!!! Do not worry! xx =)

58. BooBooNinja, on August 20th, 2012 at 5:43 pm said:

Rae, you look cute and pretty with the curled hair. Don't get down on yourself. I'll come back later and tell you my worst hair story, okay?

Write a Comment