Sticking to that ‘cone-free diet: silicone-free creme foundations

Note: if you’re suffering from a massive case of deja vu, don’t fret – you’re (probably) not going crazy!  This post is seeing the front page for a second time due to a few edits and additions.

Last year, I started putting together lists of silicone-free products – moisturizers with SPF (part one and two) and liquid foundations (just one part). It’s time to go back to that lovely, compulsive state of mind, in which Rae frantically searches the internet for silicone-free products, in order to bring you today’s post: silicone-free creme foundations.

The following foundations are all available somewhere in North America, are silicone-free (no -cone or -xane ingredients), and are solid cremes in pan or stick form. The list does not contain powders, liquids, concealers, tinted moisturizers, mousses, correctors, etc, etc, etc. If you know of a foundation that I missed, or if I missed a ‘cone in any of the foundations below, please let me know in the comments!

ETA: a few more! Becca Stick Foundation, Avon Ideal Shade Cream-to-Powder Foundation SPF 15, Mally Ultimate Performance Professional Foundation, theBalm timeBalm Foundation, and MUFE Pan Stick Foundation. Thanks to all of our lovely readers for help adding to this list!

& A few more cream foundations made for the theatre, which I’ve tracked down online – I know it can be a pain to find these, so I wanted to include some links! Please keep in mind that I have NOT bought from any of these sites, so I can’t recommend any one over another.

• Ben Nye Creme Foundation (only some shades – be sure to double check!) {STM, FXW, MM}
  • RCMA Color Process Foundation. {MM, CRC, HN, FXW}
  • Graftobian Hi Def Glamour Creme Foundation. {MM, Graftobian, CRC}
  • Graftobian Theatrical Creme Foundation. {GG, Graftobian}

• Reply FaceFixers

Wonderfully detailed post which is what I love about your blog, and therefore you've been awarded a stylish blogger award!

I've put the link to it in the URL box, because you ask for no links in the comment text, I hope this is ok :D

Thanks and well done! xx
    My recent post Me Feels All Special

January 5, 2011 at 10:25 AM
  • Reply FaceFixers

No problem :)
    Ah, I get what you mean, I see how that could get annoying!
    :D
    My recent post Underrated Brand- Carlo di Roma

January 6, 2011 at 3:05 PM
  • Reply WendyD

I think I love you.

I've wanted to try cream for a while, but I have no idea how one would go about applying it – I've felt the CoverFX one, and it's so THICK!

January 6, 2011 at 3:10 PM
  • Reply rachelle

i was sooooo bummed with the new 'some kind a gorgeous lite'…. super sheer :/. good for good-skin days, i guess.

January 7, 2011 at 9:01 AM
  • Reply Donna

YES, you are awesome! Thanks so much for doing all this research for us, there are many of us out here that cannot use silicones because it ruins our skin, and I'm one of them. So the blogs you write with silicone-free products are extremely useful to me and I appreciate them! Loved your last list of liquid foundations with no cones that I commented on, and love this one! Thanks so much for your help!

January 7, 2011 at 9:52 PM
  • Reply WendyD

I got the CoverFX! It's super thick in the pan, but it applies strangely well with a kabuki. It looks pretty natural on, and feels much lighter than a liquid (but heavier than minerals). My skin looks nice – I can't stop peeking at the mirror! I

January 23, 2011 at 6:48 PM
  • Reply theNotice: a beauty blog » Posts you may have missed

[…] In the skin department: reviews of German Nivea (my winter HG moisturizer for dry skin), Subversive Apothecary Anti-Ageing Serum, and Hard Candy Glamoflauge. Oh! And an addition to our silicone-free lists – creme foundations. […]

February 6, 2011 at 1:05 PM
  • Reply theNotice: a beauty blog » Silicone-free liquid foundations: an updated list

[…] Silicone-free creme foundations {here} […]

April 11, 2011 at 6:02 AM
  • Reply Kahani

I'm sorry but why would you list foundations with Dimethicone (a Silicone) so high on the list? Nobara for example has , <a href ="http://www.beetricesreviews.com/2009/09/shu-uemura-nobara-cream-cover-stick.html"&gt; Dimethicone as its FIRST ingredient .

May 22, 2011 at 8:29 PM
  • Reply WendyD

I believe Avon's is also silicone free: http://shop.avon.ca/avonshop_en/product.asp?src_p

June 4, 2011 at 11:54 PM
  • Reply WendyD

Iman's Second to None Cream-to-Powder:
    Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Isohexyl Caprate, Capric/Caprylic Stearic Triglyceride, Nylon 12, Mycrocrystalline Wax, PPG 12/SMDI Copolymer, Kaolin, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Silica, Retinyl Acetate (Vitamin A), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Polyethylene, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, May Contain (+/-):, Talc, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Ultramarine Blue Violet (CI 77007)

August 4, 2011 at 10:38 AM
  • Reply carmen

Thanks for this post, its brilliant and really helpful for those of us who have finally worked out silicones were the cause of our skin problems. However, I've got really oily skin too so need a foundation that not only is silicone (xane) free but also oil free. I went through all the foundations/powders on your list and none of them were oil free. I've hunted throughout the internet for one for days (available to buy in UK) but no success. If its oil free its got dimethicone and if its silicone free then its mostly oil based and no suitable for oily skins. Eeek! If by any chance you find one please post it! Many thanks

January 3, 2012 at 10:27 AM
  • Reply Angelica

I took a trip to Ottawa this winter and this post has saved my skin! I was worried about my skin drying out, so I rushed out and bought a tube after reading your review!

I also checked out Nivea in Canada and it appears from the ingredients, that the Canadian formula is very close to the German one. I never realized that Nivea in Canada differed from the US version as well. I devoted a post to it: http://humbleskin.blogspot.com/2012/01/nivea-crem… Thanks for writing about this wonderful cream. :D
    My recent post Nivea Creme: The Saga Continues

January 15, 2012 at 9:31 PM
  • Reply Hope

Some Kind of Gorgeous has silicone in it. In fact, phenyl trimethicone is the first ingredient…? A word to the wise, any ingredient ending in "-methicone" or "-silixane" is a silicone.

March 27, 2012 at 11:22 AM
  • Reply Hope

Thanks! It's great to see someone even attempting to list silicone-free products. I get terrible cystic acne that is kept at bay UNLESS I use products with -cones. Ugh! It's hard to find makeup and moisturizers and even treatments that don't have silicone. A lot more places list ingredients now than ever before, though. CosDNA is a good place if Sephora/Make Up Alley don't list the ingredients. Keep up the good work – it's a hard list to compile!

March 27, 2012 at 12:50 PM
  • Reply Leigh

Hello, you seem very, very knowledgeable, and I really do hope you can help me!! I am allergic to sooo many things, and I can't stand a lot of smells (I am allergic to fragrance, but fragrance-free does not always mean odor-free). I can't seem to find a foundation, moisturizer, or hand lotion :(. I have tried to research and have tried so many things, and I am just at a loss. I'm allergic to fragrance, malc, talc, silicones, and SPF. Do you have any ideas of some products? thank-you so much.

September 20, 2012 at 12:12 AM