Sulphur. Even though it smells bad.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

What it is: Mario Badescu‘s Drying Cream.

Purpose: From the MB site…

“Drying Cream is an effective treatment to dry up small under the surface bumps and pimples. Just a few dabs smoothed on the erupted areas prevent pimples from getting larger and spreading out of control. Aloe rich cream conceals and heals erupted pimples.”

How I use it: After letting my moisturiser and/or primer sink in, I dab this onto any pimples (healing, coming to a head, or still in the “whitehead” stage!) with a fine-tipped concealer brush, the way I’d spot-apply any product. In the daytime, I then set it lightly with powder, and apply concealer overtop.

Why I love it: The main reason? This stuff works. Smells awful, but it works! I find that my skin responds very well to sulphur and clay based products (this being the former) as it can be quite sensitive and dry… basically, they get rid of the zit *almost* as fast as a peroxide- or salicylic-based treatment, without causing peeling or irritation. Personally, I think trading a week of peeling in for another day with your zit is a pretty good deal.

The added bonus
: This formula goes on pretty opaque, which basically gives your concealer a “blank canvas” to work on, rather than a red dot. It colour-corrects, essentially! And, if you don’t want to apply concealer overtop, anyone with fair to medium skin could probably sheer this out and get away with using it alone. Envision UDPP or TFSI, but thicker. And smellier. But please (please!) keep it out of your eye area… if you blind yourself, it’s totally not my fault.The verdict? I think it’s probably pretty obvious by now, but I am formally recommending this to all of you! Seriously, I’m in love with this stuff. The only thing that could make it better is an affordable price — oh wait! It has that, too! (Sorry, I couldn’t help it. What can I say, I’m in a TV-commercial-joke mood right now!) It’s only $12 for 0.5oz, and you use just a tiny bit each time. LOVE.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

20 Responses to “Sulphur. Even though it smells bad.”

1. FB @ FabulouslyBroke, on September 15th, 2009 at 10:50 pm said:

That stuff (I got a sample) is AWESOME, but I switched to the more inexpensive version — Proactiv's Sulfur Masque!It has 6% sulfur in it, and works awesome. I put on dabs of it at night, sleep, wake up, wash my face lightly with water, and attack the pimples with Benzoyl Peroxide to dry it out.Then I alternate at night with Salicylic acid (as to not irritate and over dry out my skin), Benzoyl again in the morning, then the Proactiv Sulfur the next next.So far, so good. It works great

2. beautifulmonday, on September 15th, 2009 at 11:12 pm said:

i have been very curious about Badescu and i plan to order some after my current zit treatments are used up. (the ones i'm using right now are better for this season anyway- i break out a LOT less when summer ends. the humidity in Philly is off-the-charts.)my skin has been clear if a little dull lately because i am on mondo antibiotics for my Lyme disease. it's kind of a trade-off though- the rest of me is pretty miserable. anyways my latest skin care adventure will be trying out my new vitamin C lotion to see if it helps with the dullness.

3. I got a sample of this with my initial trial package. I'm really liking this because I've noticed lately that I've been getting cystic acne around my chin. I use this at night because it tends to leave me quite ashy. I will most likely purchase a full size of this once my sample has run out.

4. FB: Wait, did you just say MORE inexpensive?Give me a moment. You kind of just blew my mind.Alright, we're back. I will have to check out the Proactiv one when I remember! Thanks girl :)

5. Laura: definitely go fill out their questionnaire for some samples :) Vitamin C *should* help with the dullness, and if not… L to the U to the M-I-N-I-Z-E-R-S!Hope you're feeling okay, dear. *hugs*

6. Naomi: It is really ashy, isn't it? I hadn't even really thought of that before, because I always layer it in the daytime!! Try a yellow-based powder to set it if you're looking for something to take away the ashiness =)(Ashy-ness? Ashness? Huh.)

7. Catherine, on September 16th, 2009 at 7:09 pm said:

Oh wow, this sounds awesome and JUST what I need! Thanks for sharing!

8. Thepunkcat, on September 16th, 2009 at 7:12 pm said:

This sounds amazing and affordable too! Do you know where can I grab one online? :D

9. beautifulmonday, on September 16th, 2009 at 10:37 pm said:

good thought Rae- I've been piling on the blush to help me look more fresh, but luminizers would be a good solution in the interim.ok today- and that's as much as i can ever say. :)

10. FB @ FabulouslyBroke, on September 16th, 2009 at 11:50 pm said:

Yes, more inexpensive is what I said.It's a biggish bottle for $30 CAD?And I only use a little dab each night, but per ounce, I think it worked out to be cheaper than Mario BadescuAlthough there was another reco on my blog for ANOTHER sulfur masque by another company that was EVEN CHEAPER than Proactiv but i can't remember the nameAnyway that $30 honking proactiv bottle is enough to last for at least 4 years if you don't go crazy squeezing it on your face or using it like a real masque every week.I just do spot treatments with it

11. FB: Ahh, craziness! I wouldn't keep anything for four years, though, so I'll probably just keep with the MB one — knowing how much my skin hates me, it'd probably break out even more if I tried using an expired product ton it =P

12. Catherine: np =) Hope it works as well for you as it does for me!

13. Thepunkcat: Try their site =) I always link to the product page — if I remember! — on the company name, so where it reads "Mario Badescu's Drying Cream", the "Mario Badescu" part will take you right where you want to be!

14. Laura: *hugs* My sister has recently been diagnosed with fibro, so I completely understand the day-by-day thing. We never know if she'll be able to make her classes, appointments, even get-togethers with friends… I just feel incredibly thankful that my mother and I are still healthy!

15. beautifulmonday, on September 17th, 2009 at 4:05 am said:

Rae- yes. exactly. i find it very frustrating, since i used to have the energy of 3 people. also, the symptoms left me for 6 months last year and i thought i was back to normal….nope.but i don't mean to complain. i love hanging out and talking MU!

16. Laura: Yah =( But that is not complaining! There's a phenomenal difference between "complaining" and simply stating it how it is… and you are definitely doing the latter! The truth is that things like Lyme disease ARE shitty, and if anyone's running around saying otherwise, it's a load of bullshit.Hey, so I found out that one of my sister's friends that she talks about managing their disesases a lot is a girl with Lyme. From the US. Who is also religious. And named Lauren. Coincidence? I think not. That is far too great of a similarity-list!Anyhow, we've decided you two are secretly the same person ^^

17. beautifulmonday, on September 17th, 2009 at 4:40 am said:

hahahahahahh. that would be awesome. love it- my alter ego. if she lives in Philly….i might faint. :P

18. Whoa, sounds cool (except for the bad-smell part, but I can get over that…). I hate benzoyl perozide because it leaves my skin *so* dry wherever I apply it. This is definitely going on my "to try" list ;)

19. Laura: I'm pretty sure she lives in Texas — but I'll check with my sister when she gets home and let you know =P

20. Rebecca: I know!! Benzoyl Peroxide works amazingly, but it just sucks the life out of my poor epidermis after a day or two =(Make sure you put it at the *top* of your list!! It's definitely a winner.

Write a Comment